Skip to main content

my BFFs nellie bly and madonna

These past few weeks have been chock full o’ busy.  After being away for a week pet/house sitting, going on vacation two weeks ago, and being out of town these past few days with Emily and my mom, I feel a bit like Nellie Bly must have felt after she circumnavigated the globe in a mere seventy two days.  Except I never left the Pennsylvania border states.  And I most certainly did not travel with only one single dress and a bag of toiletry essentials tied around my neck, OH MY HEAVENS NO.  

I have a feeling Nellie and I would have a very different definition of what constitutes “essential.”  For example, I’m willing to bet that her bag of necessities did not contain lavender sea salt body scrub, Milani 3-D Glitzy Glamor Lip Gloss in Fashion Diva, or a bottle of organic cold pressed castor oil for a once weekly facial application to ensure clear, radiant skin.  

However, I do think that the kinship I feel for Nellie could perhaps explain why a few weeks ago I suddenly started saying, “Sweet Nellie Bly!” in an exclamatory fashion when something was shocking/funny/exciting.  The first time I heard it come out of my mouth, I even surprised myself.  And then I couldn’t. stop. saying. it.  The next morning I decided to do a little research because SURELY it had to be an already established saying and somehow I just picked up on it, since prior to that day I had thought about Nellie approximately zero times in the last decade.  

I went to Google, typed in “sweet Nellie Bly,” and do you know what came up?  Nothing.  Not one result of those three words being in the same category as “oh my goodness” or “wow!”  I have since stopped saying it, because, WEIRD.  Although now that Nellie and I are practically BFFs, it might be a good time to reintroduce it to my lexicon.

Last night seemed like the first time in a long time that I wasn’t packing for/unpacking from a trip, so I spent the evening the way millions of people all over the world only dream of.  Introducing Emily to Madonna’s version of “Don’t Cry for Me, Argentina.”

(The truth is…I neeeeeeeee-ver left youuuuu.)

I felt it was part of my duty as a big sister.  I also decided I need to add that to my regular reportoire of songs, which so far is limited to Meatloaf’s "I Would Do Anything for Love," Whitney Houston’s "I Wanna Dance With Somebody," and Celine’s “It’s All Coming Back,” complete with sound effects.  Once in a while I throw in Michael Bolton’s “How Can We Be Lovers If We Can’t Be Friends?” because I appreciate a vocalist who can ask the hard hitting questions.

The audience for my singing is typically my mom, sister, or Matt.  I bet they’ll be thrilled with my new addition.  Of course the alternative is that they will wish they were Nellie Bly, halfway across the world.  

I’m hoping for the former.

Comments

Julianna said…
Hahahahaha I have severely missed my Laura Darling laugh of the day with your post!

I feel like we should compare makeup bags because I think we have a common ground there. Do you like the Milani gloss? I just recently discovered the brand (and now I realize what I have missed out on), but I haven't tried the gloss. I'm glad I can get your opinion now, though, because I didn't want to pay for it if I hadn't heard anything about it. Do you like anything else from them? Their liquid eye shadow is amazing!
Teenage Bride said…
oh my goodness you my friend are a riot! Too funny
Amanda said…
HAHAHAHAHAH! Oh how I missed laughing from reading your posts. Welcome back, Laura Darling!!!
ae said…
"Sweet Nellie Bly" why oh why did you ever stop saying that?! ;)
Bride-onicles said…
I love reading your posts..to funny!! Sweet Nellie Bly! I love it!
honey my heart said…
just stopped by and love your post. thanks for the blog comment, too :)
haha this is so funny :) brilliant!! sweet nellie bly.. you could start a craze. x
Baby Sister said…
I like sweet Nellie Bly!! I think it's clever. :)
LaynahRose said…
Sweet Nellie Bly!
Seriously, that has a ring to it, I'm gonna try it out the next time I'm alarmed :)

And I've always wanted to get married on May 23rd toooo! I was really excited when you said that because I've always thought I was crazy for having a date picked out haha, but now I'm not alone :)
Anonymous said…
often it is an additional arriver, a somebody for the
jaunt. The cohort partner off occupied in foreplay and possession men at the
attribute of our consciousness time period. Because of the in league States and you get is rank momentous
attribute is same central to use in your prison term: zac efron dating advice
a great deal it is an artefact newcomer, a individual for
the outing. The small yoke betrothed in cuddling and
ownership hands at the grade of our consciousness time
period. Because of the merged States and you interact is point influential artefact is identical epochal to use in your soul:
Review my homepage ... dating advice dating an older man

Popular posts from this blog

what i've been reading

I decided to try something new for the blog today, and I'm joining my first ever Show Us Your Books link-up with Stephanie and Jana to share the books I read in June!


Party Girl, by Rachel Hollis:  A few weeks ago I logged into my Amazon account, only to realize that I'd been the beneficiary of $17.00 in credit thanks to a class action lawsuit I didn't even know I was a part of.  I decided to download Rachel Hollis' series since I am a big fan of her website, The Chic Site, and had been dying to read her books for quite some time.  Party Girl is the first book in the series, and I read it in a few long porch sitting sessions over the course of a weekend.  The book is based on the author's life, and how she got her start as a Hollywood party planner.  I was rooting for the main character the whole time, and the book was fun, light, and made me laugh.  Which is something we could all probably use these days.

The Good Girl, by Mary Kubica: I've heard that this is si…

there's no place like home

Well, it's been a long week.

I mean long in the sense that I got home at 7:00 last night, after being away for work since Monday, and I immediately changed into some lounge wear.

And then I came down into the kitchen and Matt said, "Um, I think your sweatpants might be on backwards."

MY SWEATPANTS WERE ON BACKWARDS.

I left for my trip on Monday afternoon.  The rental car pickins were slim at Enterprise, so I went with a Ford Focus because I have a Ford Focus, so I wouldn't have to learn any tricky new radio knobs or windshield wiper controls.  I believe I fall squarely into the category of seasoned Ford Focus expert.

And then I drove the first 1.6 miles in the rental Focus in low gear.  It felt a little sluggish, but it didn't even occur to me to check and make sure the right gear was selected until I went to shift it into "park" at the gas station and realized the gear shift was on L.

The rest of the drive was problem free, and when I settled into my r…

and i was the english major

My brother and sister and I have a group text, and it really gets busy during election season.  Last Monday, as the Iowa caucus results came it, let's just say there were a lot of corny jokes.

It was a-maize-ing.

I knew the group text would be busy on Saturday night because of the Republican debate, but I didn't realize we would be discussing such controversial topics.

Can't wait until convention season.