Monday, October 3, 2011

all this to say, things are status quo

Well hello.  I am back.  Finally.  It seems like the longer I go without writing something, the weaker the muscles in the writing department of my brain get.  It's sort of like exercising.  If I go a few days or weeks without a good workout, my muscles get weaker and weaker.

Clearly I am JUST KIDDING because I do not exercise.  Although I imagine that if I did, that principle would hold true.

The truth is that I have planned several times to write a post for the ol' blog but then I suffer from what I like to call DISTRACTIONS.  For example, last night I sat down with the best intentions of composing a few paragraphs, but instead ended up buying a set of tires for my car and then reading every last detail of DMX's lengthy criminal history.  If you're wondering how tires and felonious rappers are related, you're not alone.  I don't know how I went from one to the other, but what I do know is that perhaps DMX should familiarize himself with what constitutes a weapons violation, because it would appear from his rap sheet that he cannot remember.  

Haha.  Rap sheet.  See what I did there?

Anyway, the reason I've been so quiet is because September was a big month for me.  When it started, I was still in school, working at my old admin job, and living at home with no realistic plans to move out anywhere on the horizon or even in the solar system.  And now here I am on the other side of September, and in the past thirty days I finished my classes, interviewed for and was offered a new job, left my old job, started working as a paralegal, graduated from school, and started planning to move out on my own.

And I still managed to find time to get a speeding ticket!!

My new job required me to go on a trip for a few days last week, and I got a hotel room all to myself.  It's just ashame that it wasn't big enough.




Kidding, kidding.  The room was enormous.  I could have run laps back and forth from the door to the window if I were someone who enjoyed exercising.
 
And on Thursday night I graduated.  'Twas a lovely evening and it sure is a good feeling to know that I am finished with school!  Forever!  

Although, I will always be a student of life.

And a fan of cheesy quotes.

The other weekend my friend and I did some apartment hunting.  When I got home and broke the news to Emily that her fantastic older sister is really, truly going to be moving out, great sadness abounded.  Oh, there was devastation.  There may have even been some tears.

And then Emily told me to pull myself together and start clearing out my room because OH, SHE HAS SOME GRAND DECORATING PLANS.

Actually, she was very sad to hear the news.  I may have encouraged the sadness by quietly singing Trace Adkins' "You're Gonna Miss This" every time I saw her.  Although I did try to console her by telling her it will be a lot like when I went away to college.  She said, and I quote, "Yeah, but when you were at school I always knew you would be coming back home.  And plus, I didn't really like you as much then."

It was a precious moment.

On Sunday morning Emily was still in bed, and I pulled the old "knock and enter" on her door, and went in and loudly announced that it was time for Laura's First Weekly Performance of Singing Pop Songs, Opera Style.
I'm thinking my moving out may not be looking so bad to Emily anymore.

15 comments:

♡ BSA said...

Haha! Love this post! It made me laugh several times! Congrats on graduating!!

Nicole said...

Big month!! Congrats on graduating... that is so exciting!

Jessica and Stephan said...

Congrats on the graduation, and the new job! Wonderful news :)

Lauren said...

yay for no more school! and enjoy looking for a new place!

Kristina said...

SO many exciting things going on for you!! I'm happy for you! :)

Morgan said...

hahaha! Love the story about your sister. This is how me and my sisters were when I still lived at home. I do miss living with them, but living with my husband is cool too, haha.

Stephanie said...

Yay for graduating!!!!! Congrats!

Jamie Lane said...

I love you how you just threw in "and I graduated" in this post like it was no big deal. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Done forever? Raise the roof!!

Eleanor at Mirror Of My World said...

haha this is so funny. congratulations on your graduation how wonderful!! x

Annie said...

Laura, this post was hilarious! I loved it. Congratulations on graduation! I'm sure you're thrilled to be done!

Kristin said...

Congrats girl!! You rock!!

tootie said...

You are too funny! And a huge congrats on your graduation!!! :)

lowercase letters said...

hey laura!
hooray for graduating! i can't wait to next year from highschool:)
thanks for stopping by lowercase letters! your comment made my day.
xo

Baby Sister said...

Yay!! Congrats on all of the big things!! That is so exciting!! And apparently I like exclamation points tonight!! ;) But really, congrats. That is awesome. :)

Heather said...

ah, love big hotel rooms! work or not, relaxation! haha