come to think of it, i could easily eat two gallons of sonic tots

Well.  

I just turned on the news, and one of the top stories is about a chili eating contest that took place this past weekend.  The contestant who consumed TWO GALLONS of chili in just six minutes was declared the winner.  Although I think in this case "winner" is a relative term because, yuck. 

A chili eating story as the headliner means is a sure sign it was a slow weekend around here.  Speaking of the weekend, on Friday night Emily, my mom and I ate dinner with my grandmother.  We dined on pizza, mozerella sticks, and chicken fingers, because sometimes you just need a light, healthy dinner.  

Now that I think about it, perhaps people in glass food houses shouldn't throw french fries.  My apologies to you, Mr. Champion Chili Eater.

I spent most of Saturday babysitting, and then Matt and I ate dinner at the Longhorn Steakhouse.  We have been dating for three years, and I have NEVER ONCE ordered steak when we've gone out.  Not once.  It's not that I don't like steak.  I do.  When my dad cooks it.  But when I'm at a restaurant, I prefer to go with what I know, and I know poultry. 

This is something that boggles Matt's mind, especially when the restaurant happens to be a steakhouse.  If I had a dollar for every time he exclaimed, "WE GO TO A STEAKHOUSE, AND YOU ORDER CHICKEN?" I'd be one rich lady.

Saturday night was no different.  Matt ordered some sort of fancy wild west sirloin steak, and I played it safe with the always delicious chicken and mushrooms.  We both gave our respective dinners two thumbs up.  I know sometimes restaurant chains get bad raps, but how many other places offer a dining experience directly underneath giant, fake, livestock suspended precariously from the ceiling?  Not many, my friends.  Not many. 

In addition to the agricultural paraphenalia, our waitress said, "y'all" which caused me to spend a better part of the evening pondering if she was just wholeheartedly embracing the Texas theme, or if "y'all" is a part of her everyday vocabulary.  The latter would be unusual, because unfortunately people suburban Philadelphia don't say y'all too frequently.  I occasionally try to throw it in during casual conversation, but without fail Emily says, 'DID YOU JUST SAY Y'ALL?" so the transition has been less than seamless.

Several years ago, my mom and I were in Barnes and Noble, and the man at the cash register had the most authentic sounding British accent.  As we were leaving the store I said to my mom (remember...this was SEVERAL YEARS AGO), "So, do you think he's really British, or was the accent just for fun?"

After composing her thoughts for a few seconds she looked at me and said, "Laura, most adults don't just speak in foreign accents "for fun."

And that's the day I retired my Scottish accent.

I'll admit that Sunday was less than exciting around here.  I switched my clothes from summer to winter.  It took several hours, but at the end my closet was once again organized by color and length, and my cozy sweaters and warm boots had taken the place of shirts and flip flops.  

And then today it was 82 degrees.

After all that work, it's a bummer it wasn't CHILI!

Y'all.

Comments

Mallory said…
Well, in your defense, my mother takes on all sorts of random accents and voices rather frequently. Her students think it's hilarious, and so do I. So it IS possible. :)
Morgan said…
I love to talk in foreign accents for fun! =) Especially british ones. Allo Guvnah!!

And I am so with you, the "winner" of the chili contest was probably not too happy about it 5 minutes later. But tots? Tots are amazing.
Sarah said…
The last time we went to Texas Steakhouse my thoughts focused around the fact that the waitress never said "you", she said "ya" and it was driving me crazy. She said it in some kind of high pitched voice too. "Would YAAA like some more water?" "How YAAA doing over here?" Drove me up a wall.

So ends my steakhouse story.
Steph said…
Haha! I thought about getting my winter clothes out but that's as far as I got.
Jas said…
Sonic Tots are proof that God endorses fast food.
whit said…
this post had me laughing throughout the entire thing! you really never know when people are faking accents! i swear it's a thing. :)
Miss Amy said…
I think I gagged at 2 gallons of CHILI! GROSS! I agree with you on the tater tots. mmmm.
jillian m. said…
Ha! Is it bad that I STILL haven't retired any of my accents?! The British accent is a favorite of mine, but people tell me I do a mean a mean Southern.

Tots are awesome!
jillian m. said…
Is it bad that i STILL haven't retired my accents? The British accent is an old favorite of mine, but people tell me I do a mean Southern.

Tots are awesome!
ahh "y'all" is in my everyday vocabulary, (cuz "you all" or "yous guys" or "you guys" is too much lol) but that's because i'm from texas. i agree that was pretty strange of her to speak that way! lol. as for the chili...GAG me! lol
When I use to live 4 blocks from a Sonic, I would literally stop at least twice a day for their tots. I had to move.
Miranda said…
i never order steak at restaurants! i only eat it when my husband makes it! i'm not a huge fan plus it saves some $$$!