in our defense, dinner was delicious

I did a lot of growing up this weekend.

On Saturday I went shopping with my mom and Emily.  Our first stop was to look at kitchen tables.  I know.  ONLY GROWN UPS SHOP FOR KITCHEN TABLES.

After that, we hit the mall so I could get some more business suits for work.  I picked out several suits that I liked and went into the dressing room to try them .  The first one fit me perfectly, but it was so shiny that it looked like I was either wrapped in tinfoil or masquerading as a giant bicycle reflector and that's really not the look I was going for.  Although it would be the perfect suit for a hip hop star's agent, so if I hear that Chamillionaire has an opening on his staff, I'll be back to buy that shiny suit in a heartbeat.

Emily sat on the bench and listened to her ipod while giving me the thumbs up or thumbs down on each suit I tried on.  She said very little, but when she did speak, she did so EXTREMELY LOUDLY in order to hear herself over the headphones, a tendency that was particularly charming when I tried on a pair of pants that may have been one or five sizes too small and she loudly exclaimed "OH WOW! CAN YOU EVEN ZIP THEM?' 

I think shoppers in housewares heard her and her honesty.

Finally I settled on two suits and three tops, and at the checkout I applied for a Macy's card.  ONCE AGAIN-how grown up of me.  And then, as if that weren't enough, we stopped by the Verizon store on our way out, and I was once and for all booted off the family plan.

After our shopping excursion Emily and I went to a place very near and dear to my heart. 

Sonic.

Since I've started my new job, I haven't been to Sonic once.  Truth be told, I am actually surprised that they have managed to stay in business without my loyal patronage.  I would be lying if I said I didn't think about Sonic daily, and I'm happy to report that this weekend I was finally reunited with my beloved peach sweet tea.

It was just the girls for dinner Saturday night, so after our stop at Happy Hour my mom sent Emily and I to the food store with twenty five dollars and instructions to come home with something tasty yet healthy for dinner.

We returned half an hour later with a classy, mature dinner.

A family pack of fried chicken and a bag of grapes.

Perhaps I do still have some growing up to do.

Comments

stephanie said…
sonic- I've been taking my girls there a lot lately. too much maybe. we went for the third {fourth?} time for HH last week and the carhop {same guy, every. single. time} commented on how much we'd been there :)
Lauren said…
hahaha! love this...sometimes even for grownups a bucket of fried chicken is the perfect meal! ha!
whit said…
fried chicken is delicious!!!!! YUM! I approve of your dinner choice. :)
Monique said…
Thank you for stopping by my blog! You are hysterical. You have found yourself a new follower simpl because I love a dose of daily giggles. Hope you found some good high power suits.
Morgan said…
Love this post! I've totally been in dressing rooms where I could hear the other patrons exclaiming to each other about how they look in their outfits. Some nice, some not so nice, haha. And I'm totally in love with Sonic too. It's hard for me to resist because it's on my drive home from work everyday.
Baby Sister said…
Look at you go!! ;) At least you got the grapes!! Fruit = maturity. :)
haha many adults have that for dinner on a regular basis, you have nothing to fear. ;)

Way to take steps to being a grown up. :) Its fun, I enjoy it. haha

Emily w/Amazing Grapes
Paula said…
Thanks for stopping by my blog! The older you get the more you like to shop for house stuff. Pretty soon Lowes will be one of your favorite stores : )
LOL, this is such a cute story! I have to agree, when I started getting excited for things such as mixers, vacuums, lighting fixtures....I knew I had turned a page! Hope you have a great weekend!
When I first went shopping for furniture for myself, I was like man I am so old! I totally know that grown up feeling lol
TwoFourFive said…
ThInk of it this way: you could have just brought hOme 2 brown bag specials from Sonic. At least you can pick the skIn off of fried chicken!

Loved the shout out to Chamillionaire!
Miss Amy said…
Fried chicken and grapes sound frickin amazing right now.... or anytime, really.