it didn't even have any crunch left

Last week was a bit of a doozy at work.  And not just because first thing Monday morning I put a packet of papers on one of the big bosses' desks with a post-it note that said "Thnaks!"   

THNAKS.

Smooth.

I really like my job, but sometimes the work can get a wee bit on the sad side and last week had a lot of those days.

Luckily my coworkers and I have a code that we use when one of us is feeling A TINY BIT OVERWHELMED.  The code is, "Hey, want to go for a stroll?" And the rest of us know to dig for loose change in the bottom of our purses so we can head downstairs to the secret vending machines and then wander around the first floor while we eat our snacks and play a game we like to call "Which Set of Doors Do You Think Leads to the Morgue?"

Because our office is in the same building as the coroner.  Which is weird.

And I realize that a game involving the morgue may not sound like a typical cheer up game.  However, it works for us and we have narrowed it down to two sets of doors.

Down one particularly cold hallway.

 However, the highlight of our afternoon strolls is always our stop at the secret vending machines.  We categorize them as "secret" because the prices are at least thirty cents lower than the prices in all of the other vending machines in the building, so we are convinced that the vending machine company has forgotten about these machines in the last several months, and therefore the prices have stayed low.  We don't want to many people to find out about these bargain snacks, so we try not to mention them to others.

My snack of choice at our secret stash is usually a bag of goldfish, but one afternoon last week I was feeling particularly wild and chose a Nestle Crunch bar. 

I ripped it open as soon as I got my hands on it, and took a big bite right away.

It couldn't have been more disgusting.

I pulled the wrapper open a little bit more, and upon further inspection I came to the conclusion that the vending machine company REALLY HAS forgotten about these vending machines.

Because that is one stale candy bar.


Looks like it's time to start shelling out that extra thirty cents for something that was made this decade.

Comments

Tiffany said…
too funny. but boy does that chocolate look good right now, and it's not even 8am!
REBrown said…
Gross - I've had these before and they were terrible.
Anonymous said…
That is one pretty big bite!
I'm a new reader (after you stopped by at Opinionated Girl) and oh my, this sounds like my office. Except I'm in a super small town courthouse and there's only one set of vending machines. And everything is stale and forgotten but people eat it anyway. I'm getting my paralegal cert and am a student but I work for my local DA in data entry and reception. So lovely to see a blogger with a similar background!

one-girl-vs-world.blogspot.com
Baby Sister said…
Oh man that is nasty!! Such good chocolate, gone to waste. :( Sad!!
That really must be really old! I didn't think chocolate went bad! lol
Miss Amy said…
ew gross!! Nothing worse than bad chocolate.
Hilary Lane said…
Aw man - nothing like a big let down when you're in the mood for chocolate! If it makes you feel better, though, I sent a "HAPPY MONDAY!" e-mail out on Wednesday last week. And yesterday, I had a momentary panic because I couldn't for the life of me remember what day it was. I even have a pretty Erin Condren planner and still can't manage to figure it out!