Monday, April 16, 2012

whoops

 Since my brother and I have both recently moved out, there are now two empty bedrooms back at home.  That means that Emily was finally able to move out of the teeny tiny room where she's spent the last 16 years and into the gigantic room my brother used to have.   Along with the upgrade came some redecorating, and last Friday I went home to see the finished room.  It is adorable and BRIGHT and after I spent a few minutes looking around I climbed on the bed and Emily and I caught a cases of the giggles.  We took several photographs, most of which ended up looking like this...


Emily had the soundtrack from the movie A Walk to Remember playing, and I thought I would burst with joy when I heard the song Someday We'll Know.  I hate to toot my own horn but I sound pretty much EXACTLY LIKE MANDY MOORE when I sing it.  

I ended up getting a little bit carried away with the opportunity to showcase my Mandy Moore-esque vocals, and recorded myself belting out a verse on my iPhone. We replayed the video on my phone and it turns out that I sound a lot more like Mandy Moore in my head than I do in reality, but we laughed hysterically when we listened to it.

Fast forward to last Monday.  

There was an event going on at the courthouse and the paralegals from my office were invited.  A coworker and I decided to head over together, and I offered to drive because my car was parked closer and I am a wee bit lazy when it comes to how far I have to walk in heels in excess of 1.5 inches.  The two of us hopped in Old Blue and even though the drive to the courthouse takes less than five minutes, I plugged my phone into the stereo system.  

Looking back to that moment in the car I should have just left the regular radio station on.  Hindsight, it really is 20/20.  But no.  I had to go and play with fire.  After I plugged the phone in, I selected "Play USB," and cranked the volume up.

I think you know where this is going.

Guess what came blasting out the speakers.  

ME.  

SINGING MANDY MOORE.

I turned the volume down as soon as I realized what was going on, but it was too late.  My coworker was silent for a few seconds, and then looked at me and said, "Was that............you?"

Yes.  Yes it was.  You mean to tell me that you don't record yourself enthusiastically performing cover versions of songs by 90s pop stars and then play them over the speaker system in your car?

I THOUGHT EVERYONE DID THAT.

By the time we got to the courthouse we were laughing so hard we had tears running down our cheeks because really, WHAT ELSE COULD WE DO? 

At least I had a funny co-worker in my car, and not a detective.

Silver lining.

14 comments:

thecoffeehouse said...

ahhaha. this is awesome. i love singing ridiculously loud (and horrible), but i have yet to record myself. i will probably be doing that soon now that i know you do.

GreenGirl said...

That is the FUNNIEST thing!! LOL!!
That's awesome...

Stephanie said...

Haha oh my goodness, that's hilarious! Glad you and your coworker had a good laugh about it :)

Married...with a Pup said...

OMG, this is seriously hilarious! I feel like it is totally something that would happen to me!

Jodi said...

That is too funny!

Katie said...

too funny. : )

Caitlin C. said...

hahah. That is too funny!! I love it AND I love Mandy Moore!

Emily said...

Ha, that's priceless. Although that exact thing hasn't happened to me, I have an arsenal of stories which could be categorized under the label "why do these things happen to me?" and you're right, all you can do is laugh about it!

Allison said...

Hahahaha. This is awesome. I miss Mandy Moore!

Sarah said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's all I have to say.

Sienna said...

haha that is such a funny story, i do love that soundtrack though!

Elenie Counts said...

Your blog is too cute! I look forward to following...hope you have a great weekend :)

Emily said...

We're swimming in a SEA of METALLIC WOOOOooooOOOOooooOOOO!!!!!!!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I would have died if something like that came on in my car. I use to do that with my friend as a joke when nsync songs come on the radio.