Monday, November 5, 2012

never doubt betty crocker. or, for that matter, tom hanks.

I just made myself a big mug of hot chocolate FROM SCRATCH.  And by "from scratch" I mean I didn't use Swiss Miss.  I had a canister of Godiva cocoa in my cabinet that I bought a few weeks ago when I decided that I was going to start baking all sorts of things from scratch.  That sentence should actually read "start baking things at all" because, let's be honest, I wasn't baking MUCH OF ANYTHING before that. 

I can't remember what came over me on that day but I found a recipe and gathered ingredients, and several hours and one delicious, yet VERY, VERY EXPENSIVE, chocolate cake later, I decided Betty Crocker was really onto something with her whole JUST ADD WATER boxed mixes. And so my Baking From Scratch Career began and ended on the very same day, which explains why I had a mostly full canister of eleven dollar Godiva cocoa in my cabinet tonight.  So I made hot chocolate because as the saying goes- those who can't bake, microwave.

I really wish I could come to you tonight with a summary of my very exciting weekend, but that's not possible because my weekend was pretty status quo.  Matt had to work on Saturday and I had to work on Sunday which puts a SERIOUS CRAMP IN MY WEEKEND STYLE.  We did go out at night though, and on Sunday afternoon we watched Apollo 13. 

Listen, I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.  

Halfway through the movie Matt even turned to me and asked, "Why do you seem so jumpy and nervous?" and I blurted out "BECAUSE I CAN'T REMEMBER IF THE ASTRONAUTS LIVE OR DIE!"  

 Believe it or not I have seen the movie several times.  I just forgot the small detail of the astronauts' fate. SPOILER ALERT - they live.  

What a relief.

So the weekend ended on a high note, and today was pretty good for a Monday.  

Now it's time to go plan my Election Day outfit.  

I plan to theme dress.  Obviously.

19 comments:

Alana Christine said...

haha. At least you tried to cook from scratch--that's a lot more than I do!

Sara Louise said...

Godiva hot chocolate and a Tom Hanks movie makes for a pretty good weekend in my book :)

Dawns Disaster said...

Thank you for linking up with Super Sunday Sync this week. Hope to see you next week!

Karla said...

Hey, Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm now your newest follower! =)

-Karla @ forevernewlywedded

Care said...

Those 'unexciting weekends' are sometimes the best aren't they?! Love the sounds of the hot choc. Next time send some my way!

Stephanie said...

Haha can't remember if they live or die - love it! I do like that movie, haven't seen it in forever...
Your hot chocolate from scratch sounds delicious and much more from scratch than any version I've ever made.

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

hahaha I always feel like such a moron when I have anxiety watching a movie I've watched before, so clearly I know what happens. Classic blurt out.

I am decidedly non-electionish today. Gray argyle sweater and black pants.

Sarah and Stewart said...

I love that you're theme dressing for the election! :-)

Stephanie said...

Betty Crocker is the bomb diggity OBVS ;)

Van said...

Cute that you plan your election day outfit ;)

Abi K. said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Main street Manayunk is such a quaint street, you are so lucky to live close by... I am so in love with Philadelphia. as a newcomer, I can't stop "bragging" about all the cool things around here.
Abi K

Kiki said...

Home made godiva hot chocolate sounds amazing!!!! I get like that in a lot of movies especially scary ones, i usually quit watching them halfway through, im a baby!

XO

Helene said...

haha apollo 13! I haven't watched that in forever. And glad you are theme dressing. I mean what better look?

Amanda said...

I'll take some homemade hot chocolate!!! :)

angie said...

Haha i'm the same with Apollo 13! I never remember the end and get myself all worked up!

Kera said...

Hi lady! Thanks for your comment on my blog :) Glad to have found yours, too, because I'm loving your hilarious writing style. Needless to say, new follower here!

Jen said...

That Godiva hot chocolate sounds so good right now! I loved hearing about your baking experience. Sounds like you had good intentions, so that should count for something :)

Kristen said...

I've been dreaming about homemade hot chocolate!!! Sounds amazing!

Baby Sister said...

Sometimes cooking from scratch is so overrated. Thank goodness for Betty Crocker!! :)