a wordy post about nothing in particular

I had a NOT SO GREAT day today.  Therefore, I left work and drove straight to Chick Fil A and ordered a large sweet tea because NOTHING MAKES ME FEEL BETTER QUITE LIKE A 32 OUNCE SUGARY BEVERAGE does.  Unfortunately when the lady handed my drink to me I sped away without taking the straw or my complimentary antibacterial wipe.  I heard her yell after me, "M'AM...WAIT!" but I was too far gone.  

I just went home straw-less, because even I am above making a second trip through the drive-through to order a drinking straw and one antibacterial wipe. 

 When I got home I walked in the apartment and Michelle was sitting at the kitchen table.  "Hey," she said, "How are you?" and I said "I am feeling FULL. OF. HATRED."

Evidently I was also feeling A WEE. BIT. DRAMATIC.

Things started looking up though and then Matt stopped by on his way home from work and we ate dinner together.  He just started a brand new job and he is over the moon about it.  Today he got a tour of the facility and there is a cafeteria, a fitness center, and a BARBER SHOP AND SALON on the first floor of his office building.

You know what's on the first floor of my office building?  A MORGUE. 

SOMETHING ABOUT THIS IS NOT FAIR.
  
 Speaking of work, I've been thrown off all week since I was off Monday and Tuesday due to Hurricane Sandy.  I had a few things due Friday of this week, and yesterday I stayed late to finish them.  And I did finish them.  Except yesterday was Wednesday.  So I was a full 48 hours ahead of the game.  

And tonight I told Matt that UGHHHH this week is taking forever, and why can't Friday just COME A LITTLE MORE QUICKLY? And he said, "Laura, it's already Thursday night."

All in all this has been a good week.  We made it safely through Hurricane Sandy.  I went home to stay with my parents during the storm because I didn't want to be by myself if the power went out.  Turns out my apartment didn't end up losing power at all, but the power went out at my parents' on Monday night at about 7:30.  

And at 8:00 my dad and sister were measuring the candle holder on the coffee table and the shadow it cast on the ceiling, calculating the ratio between the two, and determining whether or not the relationship was linear or exponential.

Listen.  I can't even tell you the last time I even THOUGHT the words "linear" or "exponential."  Which would explain why I was on the couch telling jokes like "What did the salad say before dinner?" "LETTUCE PRAY."  

The whole linear/exponential thing got us talking about what kind of math Emily is taking this year.  Pre-calculus.  I asked her to jog my memory about what pre-calc includes exactly, and my mom reminded me that, "Laura, you never took pre-calc."

That's right.  I pretty much topped out at geometry.  

Maybe my family shouldn't have allowed me to be the scorekeeper for our Uno card game earlier in the day.  

Who knows who actually won?

Happy (finally? already?) Friday!

Comments

Jenn said…
OMG I think I snorted a little over here. Too funny!! Glad y'all made it through the hurricane ok. (And something about yesterday had a lot of folks full of hatred- I was wondering when the week would ever end and OMG is it still Friday? How is it not Saturday right this very minute??)
rooth said…
I'm totally with you on Chick Fila sweet tea. I'm always craving it on Sundays and always super bummed...
Helene said…
haha love this post. Sometimes you need a sweet tea and who really needs math??
Did you ever read that book as a kid, "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day"? I think some days are just like that. Yay for the weekend! :-)
JennaDK said…
my ex lives in the telford area is that close to you? he said the storm wasn't as bad as expected!

A morgue on the first floor? no thanks!
Marisa said…
My parents lost power too during the storm but got it back last night. We ALWAYS lost it and somehow never did.
Elise said…
Hahaha, love this. I'm with you on the math. I have no idea what linear or exponential or whatever is talking about, either.

Enjoy your weekend!
Claire Davis said…
Love your blog :) It was a long week for me too! I'm happy it's the weekend!
Chelsea said…
YaY! So glad you made it through the storm!! Lettuce Pray!! hahaha totally going to use that today.
Enjoy your weekend!!
Taylor said…
Sorry to hear you've had a couple of bad days this week, I hope that your weekend is brighter.
I would have definitely been joining you on the couch telling jokes, I wouldn't even know where to start with the conversation between your dad and sister
Wow, what a week!! Hope you are having a relaxing weekend!
Jamie said…
Hope you're having a great weekend!
C said…
Thanks for your comment! We're gonna make it on time, yay! PS just read through the first page of your blog. J asked why I was cracking up and all I could say is "this girl.. my blog.. so funnny!"

Loooking forward to following you!

xo C
Elle said…
I seriously giggled through this entire post. Sorry about your sucky Thursday. I hope a wonderful weekend has made up for it.

I topped out at geometry too :) Who needs pre-calc anyway right??! I have yet to need it...
Ashley said…
Thanks or the comment on my blog! I want a job with all of that! The atmosphere really makes a difference. Afterall, we do soend half our lives at work!! Have a great week!!
Michelle said…
Sounds like a full on week for you, at least you have a friend you can vent to when you get home and tea to make you feel better. Although my choice would be wine :) Hope this week goes much better for you x
Autumn said…
I took Algebra 2 after geometry...but I'm pretty sure every minute of it was really hard. Yeah...pre-calc? Can't even imagine.

Also...you got jipped on the first floor or your office building and I am sorry that when I read about yours it almost made me spit my ginger ale out haha.
Danavee said…
A morgue!?!?!?! EEEKKKKK!
Elsha Bodily said…
I am feeling full of hatred! That is the best one liner EVER! Sorry your day was stinky :( but sugary drinks always help me as well! Here's to better days girl
lori said…
that new job of his sounds like a sweet deal.

glad you made it through sandy safely!!
Sarah said…
haha, this post is funny and I actually laughed at your joke, "lettuce Pray" and I won't tell you that I completed what would equate to Calc 4...=)
Stephanie said…
hahahah oh my goodness this is my first time reading your blog, and I laughed the whole way through that post! But seriously, who has a morgue in their office building and how is that even FAIR? hahah
yay for fridays! :) i hope this week is much better and happier.

xo
purposelyathome.blogspot.com
Rebecca Subbiah said…
sorry your day was bad hugs
Baby Sister said…
I never want to go NEAR pre-cal. No thank you. How cool would it be to have a fitness center and salon at work?? Yes please!!