if only i had been able to schedule in a spa day


My morning routine is exactly the same, every single day.  It does not vary AT ALL, and that is intentional.  I do love a routine, especially between the hours of 6:00 and 8:00 a.m.  I make my coffee at 7:38, and I do everything involved in the coffee making process the exact same way in the exact same order.

So, imagine my surprise when I got to work on Friday and took my first sip of coffee and realized that I forgot one very important ingredient.

The coffee.

There's nothing like starting your Friday with a big gulp of lukewarm water with terribly diluted white chocolate mocha creamer.

YUM.

Luckily that was not a sign of things to come for the weekend ahead, and the day started to look up when I was able to leave work at about 2:30.  I went to Target the bank and the post office and then came home and lounged on the couch and watched tv with Michelle.  

We discussed our plans for the evening and I told her that Matt was planning to come over for a little while.  She asked what time and I said, "Not until after work.  Probably around 6 or so.  I sure hope I'm finished relaxing by then."

Says the girl who left work two hours early and then strolled Target the bank and post office.

On Saturday I rose at the crack of nine thirty and went bridesmaids dress shopping for my cousin's big day! We had so much fun and all said yes to a dress. 

On Sunday I knew it was time to face the music and tackle two of my most loved and hated chores.  Cleaning out my car and my purse.  The situation in my car has been getting progressively worse, and when I put my purse through the security scanner at the courthouse the other day one of the sheriffs asked me if I was carrying an incandescent light bulb in my purse.

The answer is yes, yes I was.

I have no idea why.

However, if I found myself in a situation where it was appropriate to perform "You Light Up My Life" to someone, I would have had the perfect prop to accompany my singing.

After my car and purse were both restored to an acceptable state, I went over to Matt's.  I ended up staying for dinner because THAT MAN IS A CHEF. 

I came home after dinner and created a bubble bath for myself.  One of my New Year's resolutions was to take more baths in an effort to increase my relaxation. (Please note that I do indeed take one, sometimes two showers per day.)  

I haven't taken an actual bath since about 1996, and I remember my parents setting a maximum limit on the water depth.  Probably because if they didn't, the splashing and the water bill would have both been a little out of control.

Well, last night I filled that tub up all the way and poured a moderate to substantial portion of the bottle of bubbles in.  

 
What I failed to account for was the whole principle of water displacement.

I never was a whiz with fluid mechanics.

And the result was the Great Flood of 2013.  

Lots of people say that your high school years are the best years of your life.  And the people who hated high school say that your college years are actually your best years.

I loved both my high school and college years.  However, I think I have a pretty sweet gig going right now.  I know that I will eventually have a husband and children and a mortgage and many more people and responsibilities to think about than I do right now.  

 And while I'm sure I will love that time in my life too, I bet every now and then I will look back and miss the days when I WONDERED IF I RELAXED ENOUGH.

And this weekend, I think I did.
Photobucket

Comments

Mills said…
I love this post! A lightbulb in you purse? Amazinggg.

I took a bath ysterday but didn't use any bubbles or candles. I think I'll spruce up my next one.
Lindsay said…
Um I have the EXACT same purse issue. I have to go through security every day to get in my building, and I constantly get questions like, "Do you have pills in there?" "Do you have a couple of forks in your purse?" "Do you have a large makeup bag?" "Is that a first aid kid?" DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT! I come prepared for anything :)
Miss Rachel M. said…
I love reading your blog! It feels like I'm sitting down and catching up with one of my favorite girlfriends!

Oh, and I've been there with the water issue-- No es bueno when it comes time to clean up.
Nicole said…
Love, love, love this post!! There's something so sweet about the relaxation that can come when you don't have other "lives" to take care of. It looks like you had a really good weekend!
K said…
You raise a good point. I always apologize to my husband when I don't get something done and he tells me that I need to relax more, not to worry about it. Now I feel like we need to get our bathroom done ASAP so I can take bubble baths! Haha. Glad you had a good weekend, even with the flood!
Amy said…
I've done the flood thing before, hilarious moment where you feel about as smart as a rock. :)
Proud of you for relaxing! I've had the same thought process lately--one day {hopefully} there will be a husband + kids in the mix and i know i'll love it but i'll remember the days where i could do nothing or anything because it was just me. :)
*LO* said…
this was a really cute story!

i take a bath probably 5 x out of the week!!!
Baby Sister said…
I literally laughed out loud at the coffee story. Oh, that is hilarious. And so sad. What is also hilarious is that you had a light bulb in your purse. That is just plain awesome. I hope you have better luck with your bath next time. :)
Abbey said…
bahaha. love that you flooded the bathroom. Whoops?

And I agree. I guess I'm technically still in college, but grad school is different. And I think it's a good time in my life before all the responsibilities really show up.
Traci said…
HAHAHAHAHA!!! I do love a good bath!
Oh man, that coffee mishap would have totally ruined my morning! I'm glad to hear you survived the Great Flood. ;-)
Sam M said…
haha, I am totally the same way. When my husband has school late I always try and make the most of my relaxing time. I'm just enjoying it now for my future self.
blm said…
Enjoy all the relaxing while you can!
blm said…
Enjoy all the relaxing while you can!
blm said…
Enjoy all the relaxing while you can!
blm said…
Enjoy all the relaxing while you can!
Sarah said…
okay I laughed out loud to the light blub in your purse...and I thought my purse was bad!
I definitely don't relax enough. I also haven't taken a bath since I was like ten. Haha.
ha. You had a lightbulb in your purse. That sounds like me. My husband came home a few nights ago, started to fix himself some leftovers, and then asked me why my keys were in the fridge. I still have no idea why they ended up in there,
Ahhh, love love love relaxing weekends! And your coffee story cracked me up. Ooopsie! I have to say that I'm a huge schedule person as well. Love to be on a schedule!
I am so excited to follow your blog! It is just lovely!

THanks so much for stopping by my site!
I hope you follow back so we can stay in touch xoxo
I like routine too. Yuck on the lukewarm water and creamer haha I'm excited to follow your blog!
I need a bath. Like, seriously. I thought I was the only crazy person that took 2 showers a day. I need one to get ready in the morning and I can't sleep(no matter how hard I try!) without one at night. I'm a new follower:)