Well, as Robert Burns liked to say in the mid-1700s, the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.  Apparently, so do the best laid plans of Oh Laura Darling.

I was planning to attend a conference for work this week, and was going to begin my two hour drive after lunch today. 

Now here's where the "awry" part comes in.

On my way to work this morning Old Blue began to beep loudly due to LOW BRAKE FLUID.  I know that because the warning kept flashing on my dashboard in VERY PUSHY CAPITAL LETTERS. 

The beeping went away after a little bit, and I hypothesized that perhaps things just weren't up to par mechanically because it was only 6 degrees outside this morning.  And let's be honest, it's even difficult for humans to function at full capacity when it is 6 degrees outside.

However, upon consultation with my mechanics (aka my father and Matt) I decided it might be in my best interest to seek an alternate mode of transportation to the meeting.

And so plans were juggled a little bit and I rode with a co-worker.  We left the office around 2:30 and made a pit stop at Dunkin' Donuts, the land where all good road trips begin.

We've driven to many, many meetings together, but typically I drive and she navigates/controls the GPS.  Today our roles were reversed and as I set up the GPS she said, "I won't need it on for the whole drive.  You can turn it off when we get on that main road...you know...the one we're on most of the way...?"

"Do you mean...the turnpike?"  

She meant the turnpike.

Listen.  It's really a wonder that we've successfully transported ourselves to all these meetings over the last year and a half.

We ate and talked and laughed for the whole two hour drive, checked into the hotel, and then immediately went downstairs to the hotel restaurant for dinner.  The restaurant opened at 5:00 and we got there before the doors were even unlocked.

We don't mess around when it comes to meal time. 

After dinner we went straight to a reception in another part of the hotel and spent the next hour and a half mingling and dining on cheese and veggies and a wide assortment of cookies.

The reception was over at 7:30, and as we were leaving some co-workers invited us to go to Chili's with them. AND WHO WERE WE TO TURN DOWN ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY TO DINE?

So basically I've been eating non-stop for the last eight and a half hours.

I talked to Matt when I got back to my room and filled him in on my big day o' eating, and he said he might start calling me Miss Piggy.  I said he should call me MISS TAKING FULL ADVANTAGE OF HER EXPENSE DOLLARS.

 And to top the night off, I just looked in my hotel information packet for the wireless access information so I could type this riveting post, and what to my wondering eyes did appear but this little gem...

A case sensAtive password.

How unAque.






Photobucket

Comments

Carla said…
You always give me a little chuckle. :)
I a huge foodie. I never pass up a meal... LOL.
Baby Sister said…
I prefer "taking full advantage of her expense dollars" over "piggy". It's much more appropriate. :) Sometimes people are just too sensitive about things. :)
Kristen said…
Don't make fun of those passwords. They're sensAtive.
Work travel = lots of food and booze. It's the way of life.

What a terrible typo!
Traci said…
Reading about 6 degrees totally makes me shut down right now & it's in the 70's in Baton Rouge!
Jessica Gehman said…
I love that your mechanic consultation is pretty much the same as mine. Dad, Husband, Dad-in-Law.

And I am dying to know what kind of hotel you are staying at that provides that kind of wifi code. Seriously people, it is 2013. Wow.
Audrey Allure said…
Haha, I definitely also never pass up an opportunity to eat!
scrapperjen said…
You are brilliant! Anyone who uses the expense system to their best interest is a genius in my opinion.

I hope your car is ok.
Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Sam M said…
My car was flashing that same thing a few months ago and then it went away...perhaps I should have done something about it? Uhh isn't eating constantly what you're supposed to do when you're out of town. it's like they have different food.
That sounds like quite the trip! Good job using your expense dollars to their maximum potential! ;-)
julianna said…
LAURA!! I am going to assure myself that you have forgotten about reading my ole cobwebbed blog, but I HOPE you haven't! I have enjoyed catching up on yours tonight, and I stopped by to tell ya that I am blogging on a new site now! I would love for you to drop by when you have nothing else to do (which is probably never because you seem BUSY). Nevertheless, my link is: www.thediaryofmyfairytale.blogspot.com Leave a comment if you stop in!! Take care!!
Staci said…
Ohhhh man. Chilis. The chips & salsa forever. I'm still mad they took away the white chocolate molten lava cake. My sister wrote a letter to Chilis corporate about it. So, obviously, I love a girl who takes food seriously!
Regine Karpel said…
I am laughing out loud!
www.rsrue.blogspot.com
Susannah said…
All that food sounds amazing! I want to go on your business meeting trips. :-)
Janna Renee said…
I love taking advantage of free food! I hate myself after, but during it's impossible to say no!
Anonymous said…
Greetings! Very useful advice within this post! It is the little changes which will
make the biggest changes. Many thanks for sharing!
Here is my web-site ... Upper James Manor
Deidre said…
You're so right, every good road trip starts with Dunkin Donuts. Man, I miss Dunkin Donuts...
Holly said…
I love to eat! I am actually really jealous that you had a solid 8.5 hours full of food! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I can't wait to read more from you!
terr davidson said…
This made me laugh x

1stepclosereveryday.blogspot.co.uk