Wednesday, January 9, 2013

you could say we were outfoxed


A few months ago Matt's dad's cat got in a fight with a fox. 

And the fox won. 

Since that little scuffle, the felonious fox was sighted a few times, and Matt's dad became determined to catch him.

He began to set out a trap every night with some chicken to lure the fox in, and upon successful capture he planned to transport him to a park far, far away where he could live wild and free like God and suburban planners intended.

Matt has been keeping me updated on the status of the Great Fox Catch of 2013, and this morning I awoke up to a message that said "MY DAD GOT THE FOX!!!!!"

And you thought your Tuesday was exciting.

We had plans to eat dinner with Matt's family tonight, and since we would be the first ones home, Matt was given the responsibility of transporting the fox to the park far, far away.

Lucky guy.

Once we arrived Matt set out collecting necessary supplies like pliers and gloves, and I stood around and took pictures of the nice little habitat his father had created and providing moral support to my boyfriend the wildlife expert.

A few minutes later Matt deconstructed the makeshift fox habitat and carried the trap to the patio so we could get a good look at the guy before we ( mostly Matt) loaded him up and shipped him out.


While Matt set the cage down on the patio and went to lock the back door, I crouched down to say hello to the elusive fox.

And that's when I looked at Matt and said, "I'm no zoologist.  But this fox looks an awful lot like a raccoon."


 
   And indeed it was. 

And so, the fox has yet to be caught.  At this point, his whereabouts are unknown. 

But I'd bet he's somewhere guarding a hen house.




Photobucket

25 comments:

Kristen said...

What's funny is that when I was looking at the picture of him carrying the "fox" from behind, all I could think of was, boy, that's a pretty round fox they have there!

aimymichelle said...

amazing

Mills said...

hahaha this is awesome and I need to be kept updated on this situation. Was his dad pissed? That's going to be a classic story.

Carly said...

oh I laughed so hard!!!! hope you find the actual Fox soon though.

iris said...

If foxes are anything like dogs, won't the fox just come back to his home anyways? I mean, a few miles isn't that far...

Rachel Silski said...

Awe! They can be just as mean though!

Hilary said...

Aww, he's cute (if raccoons are allowed to be cute..)!

Nicole said...

Haha! This is SO hilarious!!!

Jessica G said...

I love that you said I'm no zoologist. But unfortunately, raccoons are a lot dumber than foxes and therefore, much easier to catch. Good Luck :) And how was dinner?

Abbey said...

oh my gosh. love it.

Traci said...

DYING laughing. This reminds me of when my brother was trying to catch an armadillo that was ruining his landscaping. Multiple times he thought he had him only to discover a cat in the trap.

Sarah and Stewart said...

Oh man, so you didn't catch the fox after all, darn!!

Amy said...

oh noooo poor kitty. :(
but wow, that fox is super smart!!!

Wine and Summer said...

OMG this just scared the crap out of me! I am absolutely petrified of raccoons. I would have died if I saw that in real life.

Sam M said...

I literally just laughed out loud at this post. So the real questions here are....was this the "fox" he was thinking of all along? Does he know what a fox looks like? Oh man, this was amazing. I love that no one noticed until you said something.

Elise said...

So I know I'm weird, but I think raccoons are the cutest thing ever. Ever.

Courtney @ line up and wait said...

Oh my gosh that is a great story! My parents have a fox in their yard, too. Luckily the dog hasn't gotten in any fights with it!

Amber Dominguez said...

awww what a cute little guy. Foxes are sly little things...he was probably watching you guys the whole time haha

Amber Dominguez said...

awww what a cute little guy. Foxes are sly little things...he was probably watching you guys the whole time haha

katie ridings said...

omy!!

Briseidy said...

oh my, what a story! I hope the fox and the cat and everyone related to this story are fine :)

Ashley said...

Poor kitty! :( Thats hard

I had to chuckle at the raccoon thing, though. I was looking at the pictures before I read the words to go with each picture and I was like "Well, that doesn't look like any fox I have seen." I hope he gets caught.

Thanks for stopping by my blog a few weeks ago! I'm your newest follower! Your blog is so fun, I love it!

Baby Sister said...

Hahahahaha!! That is hilarious!! Good catch, Laura. :)

My-cliffnotes said...

Hahahaha fox, racoon whatev lol

Lindsay [rookie's nest] said...

Hahaha, I don't mean to laugh but I LOVE this. The fox that was actually a raccoon made me laugh so hard. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of the cat and I hope you catch the fox soon. Best of luck! x