Wednesday, February 27, 2013

it was like i was meant to order a second helping of mozzarella sticks

I worked a lot of overtime last week, so by the time Friday rolled around my supervisor said that as long as I was in the office for an 11:00 and a 1:30 meeting, I could take the rest of the day off.  When the first meeting was over, I turned off my computer, packed up my things, and set off on what I like to call a middle-of-the-daycation.  

I planned to take myself to Chick Fil A for lunch and then wander around the bookstore, but when I remembered it was a Friday in Lent and I couldn’t have meat, I decided to swing by Sonic for some mozzarella sticks instead.  

I parked, ordered, and ate.  I didn’t read or listen to the music or talk on the phone.  Just sat in silence and stared out the window at the cars driving by.  It was lovely.

And then it was time to go back to the office and I tried to turn my car on.

Nothing happened.

I performed a quick inventory of the situation and once I confirmed that the car was indeed in park and the key was in the ignition correctly, I realized, HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM.

Or maybe more like, PROGRESSIVE INSURANCE ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE, WE HAVE A PROBLEM.

It wasn’t cold, I was in a safe place, it was light outside, and I had nowhere urgent to be, so I didn’t really panic.  The situation ranked very low on the scale of ONE TO SERIOUS.  However, I'll admit that when the Progresssive operator ended our phone call with ‘HELP IS ON THE WAY,’ it added the air of drama that I so enjoy.

I decided to call Matt while I waited for the tow truck.  I explained my predicament and then Matt said, “Well, do you have a wrench in your car that you could use to pop the gear shift?”

Excuse me. Have we met?

A tow truck pulled up about ten minutes later, they plugged something into the hood of my car, and Old Blue purred like a kitten.

It turns out the battery had died.

Which would explain why my windows have been rolling up and down very slowly lately and sometimes the radio volume didn’t work.  Apparently those things are symptoms of a dying battery.

Now I know.

I drove straight home because I didn’t want to turn my car off anywhere else, and that’s when I called Matt and gave him the good news that HEY! WE HAVE FRIDAY NIGHT PLANS! REPLACING MY CAR BATTERY!”

And because Matt is fantastic and also secretly loves a little automotive drama, he came over on his way home from the office and we set to work changing the battery.  

And by “we” I obviously mean “he.” All I did was stand around and pontificate on the increasing price of dry cleaning and my thoughts on organic fruit.

And then Matt told me to start up my car, and so I did, with great success.

Tomorrow morning I’m driving two hours away for a work meeting with a co-worker.  I’m sure my car will be just fine, but in case we break down, I sure hope it’s near a Sonic.  






Photobucket

20 comments:

Robin said...

Their mozzarella sticks are the best I have ever had at a restaurant.
Good luck with your co-worker meeting. :)

April Rowell said...

Car problems freak me out. Glad you had a happy ending :)

ae said...

I love how you can make a story about a dead battery funny! Thanks for the laugh this morning!

*LO* said...

are sonic mozz sticks actually good?!?!? their tots always look delicious!

Amy said...

Situations like this make me nervous because i do NOT have road side assistance, i should probably look into that haha.
At least you didn't have anywhere you needed to be and you weren't freaking out! :)

Sam M said...

Car trouble always feels like the end of the world. I hate having car trouble! Even if you're sitting in the sonic parking lot sometimes it feels like you're just going to die there right along with your car.

Ashley Barnhill said...

Those darn batteries! Hate when that happens!

Jessica Gehman said...

When my battery died 3 times in 3 months, we figured out that the interior light in my glove box was staying on, even when the darn box was closed. Imagine how dumb I felt when my car died every time we went to Walmart!

Also, you can fix almost anything in a car (starter, alternator, hose connection problem) with a good smack of a rubber mallet. I carry one of those in my trunk too.

Sarah and Stewart said...

I am now having a serious craving for mozzarella sticks! Glad nothing serious was wrong with your car. :-)

Elizabeth said...

Oh my goodness this so sounds like something that would happen to me. Although surprisingly I do have jumper cables in my car (my dad gave them to me) so if my battery dies I can jump the car... only problem is, I don't know how to do that either.

I think I might be lost without Mark in my life to help me with car problems like this cause well without him State Farm would be getting a lot more roadside assistance calls from me!

Joy said...

HAHAHA.... first of all, I LOVE those mozzarella sticks! And second... I feel your pain. I know where the gas goes, and that's about it. Ha! Glad you had help immediately!!

Tiffany @ Polka Dotted Cats said...

"Excuse me, have we met?"

Hahah, I would say the same thing! Like isn't it their job to get it open??

At least you got the sonic before the car died!

Michelle said...

I just love the way you write :)

My-cliffnotes said...

Car batteries are the worst! Glad it's fixed

Anonymous said...

Mr Sarkozy allegedly authoritative the origination a $2 rebate on Admission charge to their 9+ acre corn snarl.
This will help keep your Inbox clear Coupons codes can be a challenge.
folks, erotic love those extra 54 pixels o'er the standard WVGA displays, after all no kidding, it makes a noticeable difference was not painless though.

Here is my website :: eddie bauer best coupons

Anonymous said...

However, if you're pretty sure that you're being harassed wrongly, it's time to take a look at other options. Someone actually came up with a winning idea of Doggles, which are goggles for dogs. • Make your video an introduction to your pet sitting business that’s less than two minutes in length.

Look into my web page - small business online advertising

Lindsey said...

Just laughed a little reading this because I got a flat yesterday and cried like it was the end of the world!! The AAA man even hugged me I was so pitiful! Thank the Lord for sweet boyfriends and roadside assistance!!

Siri Natalia said...

I agree, that if you have to break down, it should be near a sonic :)

Kaara A said...

Ugh I hate car troubles! At least you have a good insurance co to turn to and weren't somewhere shady on e side of the road...
P.s. newest follower ;)
xoxo- Kaara

Baby Sister said...

I think you were meant to order a second order of mozzarella sticks too. I'm glad it wasn't something major, though. That's a relief!!