i'll shred 30 cups of cheese for her birthday, but that might be my limit

I am sitting here on Monday night trying my hardest to think back to Friday, and it feels like it was  so long ago.

That's how you know you had a good weekend.

I do remember that Friday involved a staff meeting that lasted 30 minutes longer than planned because expense reports were on the agenda, and expense reports always go hand in hand with controversy and an extended discussion about mileage and points of origin.

After work I went to my parents' house.  They were hosting my niece's baptism party on Saturday afternoon, and since my mom was fighting a little cold I dropped by to offer my culinary expertise.  I'm proud to announce that my culinary expertise is increasing now that I have my very own gigantic yet outdated kitchen to cook in.
(I know you're jealous of that wallpaper and sweet wood paneling.  Not to mention the fancy faux brick vinyl floor and plastic wood ceiling beams. I have BIG DREAMS for our summer '16 remodel.)

But, I still wasn't prepared for what my mom told me when I arrived.

"Okay, we are making macaroni and cheese.  And we have to triple the recipe."

Triple?  

You mean 1 3/4 cups TIMES THREE? 

I haven't done math like that since the fifth grade.

I don't know if my mom saw the fear in my eyes, or if she was tipped off when I asked for a pen so I could work out the actual math problems, but she saved the day with the suggestion that we first double the recipe, and then make a single third batch.  She made me feel better by saying that strategy would work better with regards to ratios and ingredients, but part of me thinks she doubted my math skillz.

Which is a completely legitimate concern.  

In addition to successfully doubling the recipe, I must add that I single-handedly shredded TWENTY SEVEN CUPS of cheese.   

I can honestly say there are very few people in the world I'd shred twenty seven cups of cheese for.  

Annabelle is one of them.  Can you blame me?

The baptism and the party went off without a hitch and Annabelle couldn't have looked cuter or been a more perfect goddaughter. 

Also, I can now add godmother to my resume. 

 And professional cheese shredder.


Comments

Emily Jane said…
I'm going to have to insist that next time your mother just buys cheese pre-shredded. Of course I'm sure you now have a nice chiseled bicep in your right/left arm. Your niece is precious, I can't believe how big she is already! Congrats God mama :)
P!nky said…
Holy cups of cheese batman, that is a lot a lot! But a totally cute face worth the time :)!
Rebecca Jo said…
The things you do for the ones you love!!! :)

I'd just freak out because you know - FRACTIONS when it comes to figuring out how much you need. YIKES
ae said…
She is just adorable! Totally worth shredding all that cheese. ;)
Emily Ballard said…
Oh. My. Word.
What a cutie!!!
Congratulations!! How exciting!

Shredding that much cheese must have taken up the majority of the weekend! But I bet it was totally worth it because - Homemade Mac N Cheese!!!! One of my favorite things evarrrr!
Morgan Apfel said…
AWWW what a cutie!! We always shred our own cheese and literally it became my husbands job only after I not once, but twice like took off my finger lol. Those things are dangerous. Also when you get those huge blocks of cheese, they're so heavy lol. But way to go for helping!! Macaroni and cheese sounds awesome!
Emily said…
That's a lot of cheese! I might have just bought the cheese already shredded and take the easy way out. lol Congrats on becoming a godmother!
Evelina said…
Wait, plastic wood beams? That's a thing??
so. much. cheese! congrats, godmother! that is such a special thing...and your goddaughter is so precious. definitely worth the 27 cups of cheese.
Kaci said…
She's so cute!!
Baby Sister said…
Oh my world that girl is adorable!

Since you're a professional cheese shredder now, I expect a package of shredded cheese for every holiday (birthday included) for a whole year. :) Thank you, I look forward to my cheese!
Victoria said…
You've got a nice big layout to work with on that kitchen!!!! And all that cheese shredding gave you the muscles to get it done with. ;) That is soooo much cheese! I used to prefer grating cheese by hand, but when you've got THAT much of it to get through, a food processor with the grating blade works WONDERS. Next time, you've got to pull it out.

Your niece is beautiful!!!
Oh goodness...that is A LOT of cheese! I have a pimento cheese recipe that I love, but rarely make it when entertaining, because by the time I've cooked everything else I can't bare the thought of shredding an entire big block of cheese!
stevenjared0853 said…
Annabelle is actually very cute and no one can ever say no to her for anything and yes I am also too weak in maths. Anyway, for now I am planning for a small party at New York event venues and need some food ideas for that. Can you suggest me something?