Sunday, April 10, 2016

Easter was egg-cellent

Well now that it's been two weeks since Easter, I guess it's about time I write about it.

For the first time this year, we had Easter brunch instead of Easter dinner, and I have to say it was a fantastic idea.  I was responsible for bringing two things, so I made bacon wrapped asparagus and a french toast casserole.  Typically I do a practice run before bringing something to a crowd, because while I'm definitely improving in the cooking department, things can still be a little dicey when I try a new recipe.  But I threw caution to the wind for my Easter contributions and made them for the first time, and it was a huge success.  The only mistake I made was "accidentally" doubling the butter in the french toast casserole, and I have to say, it wasn't a bad thing.

Also, the cutest baby in all the land came to spend her first Easter in Pennsylvania and despite all the candy my parents bought, I think she was the sweetest thing about Easter.


Emily was home from college for the weekend.  My mom had the day off Monday and planned to drive her back to PSU bright and early for her 10 am class, so I took the day off and joined in the fun.

And fun it was.

We left at 6:00, so by 9:30 my mom and I were at the point where we found everything, especially ourselves, completely hilarious, and Emily was at the point where she was ready to crawl out the car window at a red light.

We dropped Em off for her class and made plans to reconvene at her dorm at 11:15 so she get her luggage and load the car up with her winter clothes to send home.

Which meant my mom and I found ourselves with an hour to kill on our old college campus.

So we decided to walk around and take pictures at various Penn State landmarks and text them to Emily in class.


The creamery! My freshman year dorm! The student union! The library! Em's favorite study spot! The lion shrine!

We met back up with Emily after her class and she did a combo eye roll/grin about the pictures, so our plan was a total success. 

I wonder if she will ask us for a ride back anytime soon.

18 comments:

Emily said...

HAHA. Sounds like some good family time. Glad your recipes turned out.

ae said...

Looks like a wonderful Easter!

Leslie said...

She is so cute! I also love how you and your mom took all of those pictures. That is too funny! It's also sweet that you share the same alma mater!

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

I couldn't concentrate on anything else after I read bacon wrapped asparagus! Why haven't I ever seen or thought of doing that before?! I must try this now!

Leslie @ This is For Keeps said...

I love the idea of Easter brunch. My family is so traditional though - we've done the same thing for 35+ years and probably always will! Sounds like a fun road trip to Penn State!

Also, random, but I passed a Jaguar on the Turnpike the other day and I instantly thought of you. It was most definitely a man in the driver's seat and not you though, haha.

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

Sounds like the perfect way to kill an hour and text bombard one's sister!

Kayla MKOY said...

Oh my goodness her little yellow dress is so cute!!!! :) I agree - brunch is aways an awesome idea. YAY glad you guys enjoyed your Easter holiday!

Kait said...

Ah this brought back so many good PSU memories! I took Dane to campus for the first time when we were home last fall and he loved it! Our goal is a football game this fall :)

P!nky said...

Family Easter time is the best time. Love the pictures of lil one.

Kaitlin {Little Goodies Blog} said...

Aww, looks like you had a great holiday!! So many cute pictures! :)

Rachel McCarthy said...

I think added extra butter to the french toast casserole was a fabulous idea haha! Sounds like you had a wonderful Easter weekend!

xo, Rachel
A Blonde's Moment

Sara McCarty said...

What a lovely holiday! How fun visiting your alma mater! I always love going back to my college to see everything that's changed.

BLovedBoston said...

We did an easter brunch and I'm with you - so much better than a dinner!! A baby in a basket - stop the cuteness! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

Liz Jo said...

That baby is adorable!!! Oh my gosh cudddles for days.

Easter sounds like memory lane! I haven't visited my dorm since I left nearly three years ago, although I only stayed on campus for two years.

How does emily like college so far? I felt like it was soo different from high school and just better overall.

liz @ j for joiner

Kristen @ See You In A Porridge said...

okay, yes, she is the cutest baby in the world. that dress is adorable. love that you guys took all of those photos around campus. fun!

Laura Marie Keenan said...

What a lovely Easter! And double the butter is never ever a bad thing!

Caitlin Elizabeth said...

Bacon wrapped asparagus is so good and french toast is my favorite! Can never go wrong there. Looks like you and your mom and a fun time!

Baby Sister said...

Your recipes sound delicious! I've always wanted to make a french toast casserole, but I still have yet to do it. Maybe after spring is over and my life slows down...

If I were Emily I wouldn't want to go to class, I would want to walk around the campus all day with you guys. Sounds like you had a fun time. :)