Tuesday, June 13, 2017

five memoirs and a beach read

It's time for Show Us Your Books with Steph and Jana.  My new hammock and lots of days off work have contributed greatly to the fact that I read six books this month!  Also, the theme of the month was memoirs, apparently.


First up was The Last Lecture, by Randy Pausch.

A lot of professors give talks titled "The Last Lecture." Professors are asked to consider their demise and to ruminate on what matters most to them. And while they speak, audiences can't help but mull the same question: What wisdom would we impart to the world if we knew it was our last chance? If we had to vanish tomorrow, what would we want as our legacy?

When Randy Pausch, a computer science professor at Carnegie Mellon, was asked to give such a lecture, he didn't have to imagine it as his last, since he had recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer. But the lecture he gave--"Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams"--wasn't about dying. It was about the importance of overcoming obstacles, of enabling the dreams of others, of seizing every moment (because "time is all you have...and you may find one day that you have less than you think"). It was a summation of everything Randy had come to believe. It was about living.
I loved this.  I was expecting it to be sad, but it wasn't sad until the very end, when I cried.  It was inspirational and interesting to see life from the perspective of someone who knows he is dying.

-----
Next up was Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake, by Anna Quindlen.
In this irresistible memoir, Anna Quindlen writes about a woman’s life, from childhood memories to manic motherhood to middle age, using the events of her life to illuminate ours. Considering—and celebrating—everything from marriage, girlfriends, our mothers, parenting, faith, loss, to all the stuff in our closets, and more, Quindlen says for us here what we may wish we could have said ourselves. As she did in her beloved New York Times columns, and in A Short Guide to a Happy Life, Quindlen uses her past, present, and future to explore what matters most to women at different ages.
I did not love this.  I enjoyed the chapter on friendship and there were some funny parts throughout, but it just felt overly preachy to me.  I listened to this as an audio book and it was read by the author, who is from Philadelphia.  I greatly enjoyed her Philadelphia accent.  
-----
The Longest Trip Home, by John Grogan.
Finding your place in the world can be the longest trip home…
In the highly anticipated follow-up to Marley & Me, John Grogan again works his magic, bringing us the story of what came first. Before there was Marley, there was a gleefully mischievous boy growing up in a devout Catholic home outside Detroit in the 1960s and '70s. Despite his loving parents' best efforts, John's attempts to meet their expectations failed spectacularly. Whether it was his disastrous first confession, the purloined swigs of sacramental wine, or the fumbled attempts to sneak contraband past his father, John was figuring out that the faith and fervor that came so effortlessly to his parents somehow had eluded him.
And then one day, a strong-willed young woman named Jenny walked into his life. As their love grew, John began the painful, funny, and poignant journey into adulthood -- away from his parents' orbit and into a life of his own. It would take a fateful call and the onset of illness to lead him on the final leg of his journey -- the trip home again.
John Grogan is the author of Marley and Me, which I want to re-read this summer and am literally watching right this minute.  I love Marley and Me and I loved this book.  I love the way he tells stories and so many times while reading this I laughed out loud and kept saying, "Matt, listen to this story!"



Next I read The Middle Place, by Kelly Corrigan.

For Kelly Corrigan, family is everything. At thirty-six, she had a marriage that worked, two funny, active kids, and a weekly newspaper column. But even as a thriving adult, Kelly still saw herself as the daughter of garrulous Irish-American charmer George Corrigan. She was living deep within what she calls the Middle Place--"that sliver of time when parenthood and childhood overlap"--comfortably wedged between her adult duties and her parents' care. But Kelly is abruptly shoved into coming-of-age when she finds a lump in her breast--and gets the diagnosis no one wants to hear. When George, too, learns that he has late-stage cancer, it is Kelly's turn to take care of the man who had always taken care of her--and to show us a woman who finally takes the leap and grows up.

Kelly grew up in a town nearby and where Matt and I lived after we got married, so it was fun to know the schools and malls and churches that she talked about.  It also made me want to cry several times and by the end of the book, I felt like I knew her and her family.  I really liked this one.

-----

I picked up The Memoir Project by Marion Roach Smith next.  I actually got this book in college for a  class and with all the memoirs I was reading this month, decided to re-read this one.  It focuses on the mechanics of writing a memoir and made me think that I could never write a memoir because the author says to focus on one event in your life, and I didn't think I had anything to write about.  Then I remember I've written a  blog about absolutely nothing for 7 years, so, bring on the memoir.

-----

I ended this month on a light note, with Sweet Girl by Rachel Hollis.

Max Jennings is in a bad mood. It’s not anything you did; it’s just that secrets from her past make it her natural state of being. But she’s not going to talk about it or share her feelings, so don’t bother asking.
Max’s bad mood means that very few people actually truly understand her or know that her secret dream is to be a pastry chef. When a rare opportunity to work for world-famous Avis Phillips presents itself, Max jumps at the chance. Avis and her staff aren’t stingy with the tough love, so Max spends every spare minute practicing her craft. As she bakes brownies and custards, cookies and galettes, she builds an unlikely friendship with a man she once loathed and finds herself falling into something she’s spent the last six years avoiding. Will she let her painful past stand in the way, or will she muster the strength to forgive herself and realize her full potential?

  This is the second book in a series of three and it was a perfect light, slightly cheesy read.  I finished it in two days, but it has a cute story line and reading the descriptions of all the baked goods made me hungry.  I have the third book in the series on my kindle so I will probably read that this weekend.

-----

Did you read any good books this month?  I think I need a break from memoirs for a bit, but I'm all ears for suggestions!

28 comments:

Emily at 'a little bit of Emily' said...

I think I have read that sweet girl series - I liked them, too! Outlander was probably my favorite that I read last month, but First Star I See Tonight and Eyes On Me were both great reads, too!

Heather @ Heathers Hurrah said...

If you're looking for another memoir that might be similar-ish to the Last Lecture, then I can't recommend When Breath Becomes Air highly enough. It is so incredible. Loved it on audio.
The Longest Trip Home sounds so good too!!!

Carly Blogs Here said...

I don't think I've read any memoirs yet this year, so this was a great post to read to get some ideas. Sweet Girl also sounds like a fun book-- sometimes something light is just what you need.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I seem to have been heavy on the memoirs lately too. "Born a Crime" by Trevor Noah is really good. "Funny in Farsi" was good enough that I finished it. Rob Lowe's autobiography only held me for about a chapter before I gave up.

I also re-read a couple of Sarah Dessen books, which I love to do occassionally, even though I'm pretty far past my adolescence.

Miranda @ My Restless Soul said...

I love The Last Lecture! Someone bought it for me as a high school graduation gift years ago and it has stuck with me for a long time. I really need to read more memoirs!

Lauren Honeycutt said...

I just added The Middle Place to my TBR! It looks great!

Philip Schwarz said...

"A Man's search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl, just started reading it on my lunch hours at work. It's hard to put down.

Hena Tayeb said...

Thanks for the suggestions.. always looking for a new great read.

Tanya said...

The only memoir I've read this year was Troublemaker by Leah Remini. It was about her experiences and breakaway from Scientology. It was really good.

Kelly said...

So did you plan to read mostly memoirs this month or did it just work out that way? I read one this month about a British woman living in Denmark for a year. It was funny and light. Seems like often memoirs are pretty serious. If I did one it'd definitely be in the writing about nothing category too.

Rebecca Jo said...

I have a hard time reading books about people that I know have passed away. I just feel so sad throughout... even if the book is inspiring.

Trista @ The Classy Chaos said...

I don't read memoirs very often but it sounds like I definitely need to start!!

Nadine Lynn said...

I think I will add The Longest Trip Home to my list, I loved Marley and Me. Even if I did cry too much. Dog books just get my heart!

Jana @ Jana Says said...

I ugly cried at the end of Marley and Me and still refuse to see the movie. I don't want anything tainting my reading experience.

I found a quote by Randy Pausch outside the tea cups at Disney World. What an inspirational man. That book was amazing. S

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

I have had The Last Lecture in my reading list for YEARS. I really need to read it because I've heard nothing but amazing things about it!

rooth said...

I'm currently still stuck in Stephen King land but try A Gentleman in Moscow - so good

Ashley Ziegler said...

I've never read The Last Lecture but I hear it is SO good!!


Visiting from the Show Us Your Books linkup.
ashley-ziegler.com

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

I like local stuff so I will try the Kelly Corrigan!

I love Anna Quindlen, bummer that didn't turn out.

Christina said...

I love memoirs so much! I'm going to add The Longest Trip Home to my list!

The Siberian American said...

I definitely need to pick up The Last Lecture. It sounds super good!

Ashley @ The Wandering Weekenders said...

Hooray for having time off from work to get some reading done! I loved Marley & Me too, even though it was so sad! And sometimes all you need is is a light and fluffy read!

Marie said...

I have been wanted to read The Last Lecture for so long but I haven't because I Thought it would be too sad. Glad to know that it was inspiration read. He was an amazing person and taken way too soon.

Kelsey @ The Peacock Roost said...

The Last Lecture sounds amazing!! I'll add that to my library list.
Kelsey
www.thepeacockroost.com

Audrey Louise said...

I feel like memoirs are an under-read genre. Good for you for finding a few to read this past month! I love your rationalizing for writing your own memoir. I definitely think you should go for it ;)

Ericka @ A Quiet Girl's Musings... said...

Oh, The Last Lecture... One of my favorites. I have given that book as a graduation gift several times. Such good insight.

Teh Megan said...

Have you read Tuesday with Morrie by Mitch Albom? It's kinda memoir styled. I love, love, luuurrveee it and have reread it several times.

Thanks for several TBR list additions! :)

Callie said...

I love Marley and Me too, so I might have to check out The Longest Trip Home!

Kristy Sayer-Jones @ Southern In Law said...

I am definitely going to add The Longest Trip Home to my list!

I am loving Kelly Rimmers books lately - and I also just read Big Littles Lies and it was great!