Thursday, September 16, 2010

she makes me laugh

I was a feeling a little under the weather this weekend, and spent all of Sunday morning in bed.  After they went to church, my parents hit the food store and Emily offered to make me some cinnamon toast.  In addition to a piece of toast and a dusting of cinnamon, I always enjoy a slightly excessive amount of butter and lots of sugar on this particular treat.  In my opinion there is no better time to work on forming some cavities than when you’re sick.  I'm a fan of the multitasking.  Anyway Emily disappeared into the kitchen and returned with what can only be described as a piece of bread so charred that it was teetering dangerously on the edge of the not so edible any more spectrum.  It was basically ash with some butter, sugar, and cinnamon on top.  Emily felt bad and offered to make me a new one, but since I pride myself on being the kind of girl who will eat pretty much anything, I chowed down. 

I finished eating and Emily and I were talking.  Suddenly she got very thoughtful and said, “I’m going to tell you something, and no offense, but…”

Oh boy.  It's never a good thing when someone starts a sentence with, "No offense, but..." 

She continued.  “I…don’t want to get in bed with you right now.”

Okay.  Well.  I don’t want you to get in bed with me right now either, Emily.  I want lay alone in this comfy, cozy, warm twin bed made perfectly for one and only one person.  I informed her that we were both very fortunate that this situation would work out perfectly because I didn’t invite her into bed with me. 

“I know!!”  She said.  “But, if you did, I would say no.”

At the time I wasn’t really sure how to take her remark.  And to be honest, I’m still not.  Especially since it came from someone who spends a great deal of time acknowledging/ignoring me like this...