our day in the city of the large red fruit

When Emily and I do the dishes together, there's no question that at some point I will end up performing an enthusiastic rendition of Frank Sinatra's New York, New York.  I can't explain it.  It's like somewhere between the silverware and the frying pan my Big Apple dream breaks free in the form of a classic 1979 song.

Well, on Saturday I went to New York City and that little dream of mine became a reality.

I was offered a role in a Broadway show!!


Just kidding!  There are actually two reasons I wouldn't want to be on Broadway.  The first is the actual performing and the second is the audience.  Turns out those things are vital aspects of show biz, so it looks like my melodic voice and I will be sticking to performances in the kitchen and/or my car.  

I really did go to New York on Saturday though.  My cousins, Emily and I had given our moms Mary Poppins tickets for Mother's Day and the show was this past weekend.  Before we left, I turned on my psych up song for the day, which was of course New York, New York.  Emily chose to listen to a few rounds of Empire State of Mind, and her thematic musical choice did me proud.  Plus, when Jay Z says "I be spiked out.  I'll be hood forever," I'm sure he means "I'm king of the hill.  Top of the heap" as Frank says.  Ah, yes.  Surely Frank and Jay would have been the best of friends.

Anyway, we got to the train station and I was really hoping that we would get a double decker train, because what in the world could be more fun than riding on the second story of a New Jersey Transit commuter train?  NOT MUCH.  I'm sad to say that a regular old one story train came rolling (riding?  sliding?  driving?) down the track, and I put my preferences aside and climbed aboard.

The train ride was uneventful, and a short time later we found ourselves in Pennsylvania Station.  Which was ironic because THAT IS THE STATE FROM WHENCE WE CAME. 

Once we confirmed that we did in fact make it to Manhattan, we started walking around and I took my camera out and carried it in my hand like a tourist because I WAS A TOURIST and also, LOOK AT ALL OF THE TALL BUILDINGS AND BEAUTIFUL SIGNS.

And while we were walking I instructed my family to LOOK FOR REGIS!  If that doesn't scream tourist, I don't know what does.




We ate lunch at the Stardust Diner. 

All of the waiters and waitresses there are aspiring Broadway stars, and there is always someone singing.  They were all very talented, and one of the girls sounded EXACTLY like Lady Gaga.  Thankfully she did not sport an outfit made of flank steak or "hatch" from some sort of "egg."
And finally, after lunch we headed back uptown for the show.

Look at me using city terms like uptown.  In all actuality I have no idea if it was uptown or downtown or overtown, but it sure makes me sound sophisticated. 
The show was fantastic and after we left I wanted to run home, find a magical umbrella, and float in on the east wind to a family in need of some tough love and a spoonful of sugar.  To help the medicine go down.  Medicine, go down.  Medicine, go down.

In the most deeeee-liiiight-fullll way.

After the show we caught the east wind and flew back into town on our umbrellas.  I kid, what we really caught was a (one story) train back home, because the east wind would have taken us somewhere in the vicinity of the Hudson River, and while I do enjoy a dramatic exit, that one would have been less than ideal.

It was a lovely day in the big city though, and I think some of the Broadway talent/magic rubbed off on me, because in church on Sunday morning I was on my A game in the singing department.  A few songs in I even leaned over to Emily and whispered, "My singing voice is really good today."

Ah, vanity.  One of my finest gifts.  So glad it could make an appearance in church, of all places.

Emily listened to me closely for a few verses and then whispered back quite bluntly, "Nope.  You sound exactly the same to me as you always have."

That just means I need a little more practice.  Just wait until we do the dishes this week!  She will think Frank himself has shown up to wash the pots.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Pennsylvania Station isn't named after the state, it's named after the railroad, the Pennsylvania Railroad. The Pennsylvania Railroad once billed itself as the "The Standard Railroad of the World." Kind of an odd choice, because not much was standard and even less was emulated, but it was the biggest so I guess they could say whatever they wanted about themselves and no one else was really in a position to dispute them. The PRR was not to be confused with the New York Central Railroad, which, of course, terminated at Grand Central Station.
The medicine go dowwwwww-owwwwwwwn...

AH. I LOVE MARY POPPINS. And I kind of hate you for not only being able to see it on Broadway, but also for just getting to visit NYC period. I've never been. :(

Seriously, though, "FROM WHENCE WE CAME"? You slay me. And I needed a good laugh this morning, so thanks, friend!! :)
Nicole said…
My most favorite city ever. I'm not afraid to be a tourist either! Ha!
Amanda said…
Sounds like you had a wonderful, wonderful day in the city! NYC is a very short ride away from where I live, and I still don't go in often enough.
i absolutely love nyc. isn't it just AMAZING? i also got to see mary poppins when i visited. i think it's SUCH a cute show! definitely a show for everyone :)
Michaela said…
I've heard nothing but good things about Mary Poppins!! So glad you had fun (: I wish I could see it! It's in Seattle right now, too!
ae said…
Sounds like y'all had a great time! NYC is on my list of places to visit and seeing a Broadway play is a must when I finally get there.
Cole said…
I haven't been to New York in years but I'd love to make the trip!
And I totally didn't know that Mary Poppins was on broadway! I NEED to see it!
Sarah said…
We are so much alike it's almost ridiculous. I've always wanted to ride on the top of a double-decker bus or train. (By the way, I have Mary Poppin;s phone number in my cell phone. She's speed dial #4.) ;)
Baby Sister said…
I am insanely jealous right now. I want to go to NY, and I LOVE Mary Poppins and want to see it on Broadway. *sigh* One day.