here's hoping she never drives faster than her guardian angel can fly

Well, today is an important day in Emily's life.  She turns the big one-six.  Turning sixteen is a big deal because that is the age at which the Powers That Be in the state of Pennsylvania decide that you are old enough to operate a motor vehicle.

Not only am I her older sister, but also someone who was blessed with SUH-WEET driving skillz, so I feel that I have an obligation to pass along some words of vehicular wisdom to Emily on this monumental day.    Something like always use your blinkers.  Never use your phone when you're behind the wheel.  Or, my personal favorite, don't spend more time looking in the rearview mirror than you do looking out the front windshield.  That may seem like obvious advice, but sometimes I find myself spending so much time worrying about what is coming up behind me that I lose focus on what's right in front of me.

That actually sounds like it could be a metaphor for life.  Pay more attention to what is in front of you than what is behind you.  You can't change what is in your past, but it is up to you to determine how you approach your future.

Oh, I am so deep and intellectual.

I wish I could dispense more driving advice, but I have to admit that I found myself in a wee bit of a car-related dilemma just this evening.  I was attempting to back out of my parents driveway, which in my defense, is not straight and has some tricky pavers on both sides. Anyway, things did not go as planned and after about eight attempts (unfortunately I am not exaggerating) my dad finally had to come outside and back my car out for me.

And then on my way back to my apartment I got my first THREE BEEP ALERT on my new snapshot discount device from Progressive.  And by "new" I mean I've had it for 24 hours.  Apparently I may have utilized some "harsh braking" in order to stop at a yellow light. 

Last time I make that mistake.  Next time I'm just going right through.

JUST KIDDING, EMILY!!! ALWAYS STOP AT THE YELLOW LIGHTS!!

The bottom line is that I can't believe Emily is turning 16.  SIXTEEN.  WHERE OH WHERE DOES THE TIME GO?  I was in second grade when she was born, and I really can't remember what it was like not to have a sister.  

So, happy 16th Em.  You make life a whole lot of fun.

Comments

Morgan said…
Sister's are awesome aren't they? I love my 2 sisters and I don't know what I would do without them! I cannot imagine them not being in my life.
R said…
My senior quote for my yearbook was "dont drive into the future with your eyes on the review mirror." This post just made me think of that.
Baby Sister said…
Happy Birthday to Emily. Here's hoping she's lucky with her alarms from Progressive. :)
Jamie said…
Happy Birthday!!!! :)
Emily said…
I just took my little sister out driving today to teach her! Its so crazy how fast they grow up!