Sunday, December 4, 2011

t minus eleven days

When I finished classes for my paralegal certificate a few months ago, there was a celebration dinner held for graduates and their families.  The university was Catholic, and before dinner the president of the school, a priest, stood up and said a prayer.  He prayed for the graduates to act honorably and professionally in our careers as paralegals, and then he gave thanks for those who supported the students.  

He said that behind every student was a spouse or a child or a parent who cheered them on and was always there with some encouraging words.  Right after the "encouraging words" part, my dad leaned across the table, and in the loudest whisper I've ever heard, said, "Yeah!  Like MOVE OUT!"

He meant that in the most kind and gentle way, of course!

 (That thing hanging next to my dad's head is a bird house.  We are aviary FANATICS over here.)

I graduated from Penn State with a bachelor's degree in English.  Contrary to popular opinion, a liberal arts degree does not necessarily put one on the fast track to a suh-weet career and the financial ability to live someplace other than your parent's house.  And so, once I graduated in 2010, I found myself on the "going back to school and living in my childhood bedroom" track.  

HOLLA.  

Well, I am happy to say that in two weeks, I will be leaving my childhood bedroom behind. 

I'm moving out. 

Which explains why our garage looks like this at the moment....
 New furniture, ahoy!  Please note that those wreaths will not be coming with me to my new digs. 

There are several amazing things about this whole situation, not the least of which is the fact that I am able to get some great mileage out of songs I don't have the opportunity to sing on the average day.  For example, just this week I changed the Rascal Flatt's song "I'm Movin' On" to "I'm Movin' Out."  That is a slow ballad, which makes it perfect for me to sing when various family members start to tear up thinking about my impending departure.  

As you might imagine, that happens quite frequently.

For those upbeat, packing, shopping for bath towels and bed sheets moments, I can sing "I'm Movin' Out" by my friend Billy Joel.

And finally, for those middle of the road moments, we have R. Kelly's "I Believe I Can Fly," specifically the line that goes "I think about it every night and day, spread my wings and fly away."

To say that I am excited about moving out would be the understatement of year.  I am renting the apartment with one of my best friends, and I know we will have so much fun.  

That's not to say that it won't be an adjustment.  Living here at the old homestead was what some may call a cushy lifestyle, evidenced by the fact that just last Monday my mom brought breakfast to my room as I got ready for work, packed my lunch for me, made dinner, AND bought me a pair of festive holiday socks.
When I'm on my own I will need to learn to do things like cook something more substantial than a tuna melt, and operate a coffee machine. 

And purchase my own holiday socks.

As happy as my parents are for me to move out, I know they will miss me.  Once I'm gone, who else will recite Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding vows at the dinner table?  IN AN AUTHENTIC BRITISH ACCENT, NO LESS!

 It's a good thing I'll just be a phone call away.

15 comments:

Alli said...

I know my family will be missing me too! I'm (hopefully) going up to the mountains in NC (I'm currently in SC, right next the border) for Job Corps. After a year or so, I will finally have my own kitchen. I can't wait, and I will miss my family, but I am also a phone call away.

Congratulations!

Megan said...

Moving out on your own sounds so exciting! I know you'll miss being so close to your parents, and no doubt they'll miss you as well, but it sounds like you have a wonderful relationship with them so you're right- they're never more than a phone call away :) Good luck with the moving process!

Established: 2008 said...

Congrats and good luck!

Anonymous said...

I feel like I should come up with something motivational or supportive or touching, but really it's hard to beat "move out." As happy as I am about your impending departure, the best part is that I know you're happier.

Lauren said...

so exciting for you...and something tells me that you'll still get plenty of lovin' from your parents even after you move out! I've been married for 4 1/2 years and still get fun things like holiday socks! ha!

Mrs. F said...

you are so funny!!! I love the songs you created!!! I create songs too. . .just never posted any, maybe I should!!!

Congrats on the big move!!!

GreenGirl said...

So excited you won't be far from me!!
You will love the area I promise...
Tons of stuff to do!
Congrats again!

Meredith said...

Congrats! It's definitely fun to move out of the parents' house, though I still go back every now and then when I want to be pampered. :) Good luck moving!

Baby Sister said...

That's so exciting!! Congratulations. I'm sure you're family will miss you, too. That's one of the reasons I haven't moved out...I don't think my parents would survive without me. ;)

Hilary Lane said...

I just read your last couple of blog posts & you are hilarious. New follower. :-)

Emily said...

You're forgetting the fact that I still live at home... We'll still have the "I, William Arthur Philip Louis" part.

Morgan said...

I was gonna say you gotta sing Billy Joel's "I'm Movin' Out!" Classic! Seriously though, congrats on your certificate and I hope the move goes really well for you. =)

Jamie said...

Yay! Cognrats! It's true though. One of the worst things about moving out is that Mom usually stops picking up random gifts for you when she runs by Target or Walgreens.

Erin said...

Haha, I love that your mom bought you socks! :) Good luck with the move!!

Erin said...

I love that your mom bought you socks, haha! Good luck with the move! :)