Sunday, December 23, 2012

at least i don't have to do any of that again for six months

In college everyone said that the weekend started on Thursday. I wasn't a huge party person in college, so my Thursdays typically consisted of a solid meal at the dining commons and a trip to Target.  And studying of course, Mom and Dad.

You may think a Thursday couldn't get more boring than that.  Well, let me introduce you to December 20, 2012.

On Thursday I got the oil changed in my car, went to the eye doctor, and had my teeth cleaned.  I also paid my car insurance, renter's insurance, and life insurance.  The day pretty much screamed THIS IS THE THURSDAY OF A GROWN UP, RESPONSIBLE INDIVIDUAL. 

However, I did learn the hard way that it's not wise to schedule all of those expen$ive events for the same week.  Especially when that week is the one right before Christmas.

Nice to see you for three seconds, paycheck.

I got my oil changed on my lunch hour so that I could make it to my eye doctor appointment right after work.  This was my first time seeing this doctor, so I sat down in the chair and told him what kind of contacts I wear.  And that's when he said, "Oh.  Whoa.  You're what we in the biz like to call "three finger vision test patients.  I'm not even going to put the letters on the screen, cause you're never gonna see them.  How many fingers am I holding up?"  

Well.  That was a new low. 

I got out of there with just enough time to swing by my parents' house to brush my teeth one last time before I went to the dentist.

Let me just say that as far as dental patients go, I consider myself slightly above average.  Admittedly, I do not floss enough, but I brush my teeth twice a day.  I don't eat or drink a lot of sugary things, I am no stranger to a bottle of mouthwash, and I am religious about keeping my six month cleaning appointments.  

And so, when I go to the dentist, I just want to lay quietly in the chair while my teeth are polished and x-rayed.  I do not want to be the recipient of a lecture about bio-film and tartar and gingivitis, none of which I have.  Unfortunately that's exactly what happened on Thursday night, and the hygienist spent almost the entirety of the appointment preaching to the dental choir.

The only time she was not lecturing me on all things dental disease related was when she looked in my mouth and said  "WHOA! Are you planning to get a retainer, or are you just going to leave everything 'as is'?"

I opened my eyes and looked up at her.  "Umm. As is, thank you very much."

I think she felt a little bad after that because she said "Not that there's anything wrong with 'as is' of course! That's not what I meant! You have a gorgeous smile."

 A gorgeous smile that could stand to meet a retainer, apparently.
 
I was hopeful that things would look up when the dentist came in, but they didn't.

He looked at the info sheet that I updated before my appointment and asked me about my job as a paralegal.  I told him about the (government-related) job that I have and enjoy and he said, ""Oh.  So I guess no private law firms are hiring?"

I started out my evening of appointments feeling like a million bucks, and finished it feeling like a major underachiever with poor vision who could benefit from some orthodontia.

It was a long drive home.

At least my car had fresh oil.

And comprehensive, up to date insurance.



Photobucket

14 comments:

Allison said...

Oy, those darn back-handed compliment will get you every time!

That does sound like an expensive day! I need to make all those appointments too, just don't have any time to schedule them!

Victoria said...

I know I've had you in my bloglovin feed for a while...Somehow, I got way behind! Looks like you changed the look around here? Love the colors. :)

Sorry you had such a bad day! It's no fun feeling like you're on top of the world and being reminded in one way after the other that...Oh, yeah...You're not.

Hope the holidays treat you better! ;)

Robin said...

Woah...sorry that you had a rough time with three miserable people. I wouldn't go back to that eye doctor or dentist if I could help it!

Anonymous said...

You know, Ricky Nelson sings a song song that goes, "Well, it's all right now. I learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself." Another phrase I particularly like is, "If memories were all I played, I'd rather drive a truck," but that has nothing to do with your topic. The song is called Garden Party. Look it up, or google it, or whatever it is that you do these days.

Allison said...

You poor thing. Hope you get spoiled this Christmas and get some time off to relax.

Sam M said...

geeze, that's a rough trip to the dentist. At least the guy changing your oil didn't tell you everything was wrong with your car? I hate that SO much. I hope you finished your night by a wild time balancing your checkbook ;)

Sarah and Stewart said...

Ha ha... I know it seems boring but doesn't it make you feel just a little bit good to know how grown up and responsible you've become! ;-)

Jill said...

Ummm I might go to a new dentist! Wtf?! I think anybody might have left there feeling like they'd been kicked when they were down! Psh :( I'm sorry. My dental hygienist is my former college roommate so she isn't too hateful to me, luckily. Though I am well aware I need to floss more!

Kat@shop.school.sleep. said...

aw sorry it was a downer of appointments...some people just don't think before they say things. I got lectured by my dental receptionist when I called to cancel my appointment becasue it was in the middle of finals week for grad school and the last week of the semester for work (teacher). oh well

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

Two of my least favorite things to do: oil change and dentist visit!

A Nerd and A Free Spirit said...

What is your Rx for your contacts? I'm a count fingers patient, too. (-:

I also am vigilent with my six month cleanings at the dentist. My insurance, however, I pay monthly, on auto pay. Super easy, and cheap. You should consider it. (-:

~K

A Nerd and A Free Spirit said...

What is your Rx for your contacts? I'm a count fingers patient, too! Blind as a bat. (-:

I am also vigilant about my six month cleanings. (-:

Have you thought about doing your insurance payments monthly? I do it that way and it's way cheaper and it's on autopay an then it's easier. (-:

~K

Gita said...

Hah - I always feel very grown-up and responsible when I visit my dentist. I don't know why exactly :D!

xx
http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

Baby Sister said...

Gah, I hate when hygienists are like that!! Mine is like that too, so I was surprised when this last appointment she was actually nice. I hate big money sucking days like that. :( I always feel soooo poor afterwards.