Saturday, September 24, 2016

maybe we could borrow one of those antique cars for a few days

To provide some closure for my last blog post, Matt came home from work last Tuesday and said, "I read your blog today, you didn't realize it was me that put the chicken plate in your car?"

Evidently Matt's stepmom picked up the dish at a thrift shop.  Matt got it when he stopped at their house last weekend to borrow a tool from his dad, and instead of bringing the dish into the kitchen, he thought it would be funny to put it on my passenger seat.

So rest assured that I do not have a poultry based interloper on my hands.

We had a productive Saturday today, I cleaned and Matt worked on a few projects around the house.  After lunch he was planting some trees along the side of the house, and I came out to tell him I was going to run over to Goodwill for a little bit.

"Maybe you'll find some chicken plates!" he said.

Everyone's a comedian.

And then he bent down and picked something up from the dirt.

"Would you look at this?" he said, "A potato!"

"Oh my gosh!" I exclaimed! "The old owners must have planted a garden in this spot at some point!"

It was a rock.

You can't believe anything these days.

I got two shirts and two books at Goodwill, and I was more than a little tempted to buy these chicken pictures and put them in Matt's car.


Late this afternoon we headed down to the main street in our town for a little fall festival and car show.  We had the best time.  It was a beautiful night, there were a ton of cars, and we walked around for two hours.








After the car show we headed over to Chili's for for dinner.  While we were eating, Matt was telling me about his to-do list for tomorrow.  On his list was mulching around the new trees, and before I even knew what I was doing, I heard myself saying "Do you want me to mulch?  I love mulching."

I LOVE MULCHING?!  It's like I don't even know myself.

On the way home we decided to drive by Lowe's to pick up some mulching supplies.  Unfortunately, about a block away from Lowe's, we heard a terrible sound come from Matt's truck, and as Matt slowed down, the sound of metal scraping was even more terrible.

And that's how we found ourselves ending a perfectly lovely evening with a broken down truck in the parking lot of Elevation Burger, with both of our cell phones on less than 8% battery.  Matt diagnosed the problem as a missing bolt on the brakes, but even though we were only 2 miles from home, Matt didn't want to risk driving.

It's always better to be safe than brake-less.

So we walked to his dad's house to pick up their car.

And tomorrow Matt will go back to Elevation Burger to repair the truck.

Even though it was a lousy way to end the night, I have to look for a silver lining.

Guess who doesn't have to mulch tomorrow.

19 comments:

lauren alford design said...

beautiful cars!!

Robin said...

I'm glad there was a reasonable explanation for that chicken plate, it gave me the chills! There is a picture of a late twenties/early thirties woman in a box in our storage room. Neither of us has any idea who she is or the picture got there.

Jen Mc said...

Awesome car show! Sorry about Matt's truck - breakdowns just stink!

Rebecca Jo said...

Glad the chicken plate mystery was solved.
I would have died if you got those pictures... it would be the beginning of a chicken-off that would last for years, i'm sure :)
Sorry the night ended with car issues. thats the worst

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

Hahahaha, I'm glad that the mystery was solved! And you TOTALLY should have gotten those chicken plates to put in his car!

rooth said...

You are most certainly going to have to find chicken-themed items to put in his car (maybe a live one if you're feeling really sassy)

Angi said...

Oh man, I agree with the above commenters. You definitely need to find something chicken-themed and put it in his car. This could be the beginning of a hilarious tradition that great-grandkids will hear about someday.

Emily at 'a little bit of Emily' said...

That car show looks like so much fun. I am glad to hear that you don't have a crazy chicken plate person leaving things in your car. Such a great story, though!

Marie said...

I'm so glad that it was your hubby who left the plate. Glad to know it wasn't some creepy neighbor or something.

Erica @ Whimsical September said...

hahahah "guess who doesn't have to mulch tomorrow." I kind of cracked up when you said you enjoy mulching because i KIND OF do too... in the weirdest way! Even typing this out, I'm wondering who I am! ;)

Brianne said...

You crack me up. I'm glad the chicken plate debacle was solved. I really wish you would've bought those chickens for his car lol.

Lux G. said...

Let me know so I can joyride. :)

Kristen @ See You In A Porridge said...

oh you should have bought the chicken pictures lol. i would have been so excited if i found a potato in my backyard. sigh. sorry about matt's truck - boo! but yay for no mulching. i hate mulch.

Rachel said...

I LOVE those old cars- so cool!! :)

Jenny @ flutterbyechronicles said...

LOL I so would have tried to find a chicken statue and stuck it in my husbands truck. ;)

Love all the antique cars and trucks. Sorry about your truck breaking down but yay for no mulching.

Michelle said...

I was in a little town in Illinois on Saturday, and they also had a fall festival/car show. I thought that was such an odd combination, but after reading your post, I guess it's a thing!

The Lady Okie said...

I love those cars! So fun. My grandpa has an antique car that we love to ride around in. It's really neat and everyone stares at us :)

Erin LFF said...

LOL! I had to go back and read the chicken plate post- so funny!! And girlfriend- I actually DO love mulching. It's really the only landscape-ish type thing I like and I'm good at lol!

Rachel said...

I love wandering old car shows, and with my family, I've been to a LOT of them. My Dad owned an Oldsmobile Cutlass when I was born, I think late 60s, and that's the car they brought me home from the hospital in. It's a terrible family car, though, only two doors, black leather seats, so he sold it to my uncle, who still brings it to car shows, and drives it in the summer, 25 years later.
Car trouble on the other hand--no fun. We've had experiences like that before where we've had to pull over and leave the car in a random parking lot till we can get it fixed. We had towing insurance in Michigan and I swear we used the towing insurance more than any other kind of insurance--usually just to tow the car back to our own house so Angel could fix it.