Saturday, October 22, 2016

things have gotten fowl around here

Well, I'm currently watching the Penn State vs. Ohio State football game.  As a proud Penn State alum and a lifelong Nittany Lion fan, there's one term you don't want to hear the commentators say in relation to the opposing football team.  Especially when the opposing team is #2 ranked Ohio State.  And that term is "galloping freely towards the endzone."  But the Buckeyes have been galloping freely a lot the past two hours, because the current score is 21-7 at the end of the third.

(Since I started this post, PSU has made a comeback.  The score is now 24-21, with Penn State in the lead.  I told my family in our group text that I am too old for overtime.  I will surely die.  Write on my grave stone, she died doing the two things she loves.  Painting her nails with glitter nail polish and watching Penn State football.)

((It's now the end of the game and we won, 24-21, in a nail-biter of a game.  I am literally sitting on the edge of my seat, and in total disbelief.))

The third Friday of every month means a staff meeting at work, and that means lots of talk about budgets and policies and new laws.  But it also means seeing coworkers from our satellite offices who don't get to the main office very often.

One of my satellite office coworkers was in the office I share with one of the attorneys after the meeting on Friday.  A paralegal was sitting in our office too, and she asked me about our chickens.  My coworker didn't know that we had chickens, and you could say that she was shocked.  She told me if there's one thing she didn't peg me for, it's a farm girl.


But then she said, "Doesn't Shannon (another attorney we work with) have some kind of animals or birds?"  

"She has chickens," the paralegal said, "And she had a duck, but she had to put the duck down this summer.  It had special needs, and really wasn't doing well.

Everyone looked sad for a minute, and then I said, "Yeah.  It was literally lame duck."

Happy Friday!

Speaking of ducks, Matt went hunting this morning.

While he was hunting, I slept in and then made eggs for breakfast, because we have a zillion.

Matt had a successful day in the fields.  Both he and his dad got a pheasant, and I was so happy for him.

I wasn't so happy when he got home, set himself and his pheasant up on a table on the porch, and then said, "Can you start boiling water in the biggest pot we have so I can get these feathers off?"

I was even less happy when he requested I bring him 'the butcher shears.'

"Do you mean our kitchen shears?" I asked.

Yes.  That's what he meant.

Obviously I went shopping for new kitchen scissors and a new pot this afternoon.

Matt cooked a delicious dinner of pheasant, rice, and potatoes, and in a moment of weakness I even agreed to go hunting with him later on this week.  Since I don't possess a hunting license, a gun, or a desire to shoot a bird, I will act as more of a comedic companion and photographer.
I have a bunch of poultry related puns up my sleeve.

13 comments:

Vanessa Best said...

This is one of the best posts I have read in a while. I love the story about dinner and the pheasant, made me smile at the thins we all do to make yourself happy. The pheasantlooks good!

Robin said...

Why didn't you share any of the poultry puns? Were you too chicken? Or beak-cause you were just giving us cock and bull? :)

Kristy Sayer-Jones @ Southern In Law said...

I've never eaten pheasant before but that looks SO GOOD!

I have to say, though, I definitely wouldn't be too happy if I came home to find Jesse on our porch defeathering a bird, haha ;P

rooth said...

I'm totally not sharing the hunting photos with the boyfriend or he'll get way jealous. He hasn't been this season and is itching to go

Emily at 'a little bit of Emily' said...

I totally get you with the Penn State game - I am like that with the Cubs, especially lately! Your dinner looks delicious, although I too would have been out the door for a new pot and shears.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Yay, Matt! Male pheasants are so pretty, aren't they? The one and only time I ever hunted with my husband, I acted as his beater and he shot a beautiful male pheasant. Sadly, we did not yet know about hanging game birds to tenderize them, and while the pheasant had a lot of really nice meat, it was incredibly tough. It's the only time he's ever shot one, but if he ever gets another, I will definitely know what to do with it. (We don't pluck birds anymore. The smell of the scalded birds is grody to the max, and I feel like I can never get all the pin feathers out. The sight of those little quill things in the skin also grosses me out. I much prefer the skinning my husband now does. Not so good for roasting, but I always turn good poultry into stock--because stock from the store or made from store poultry is a sad, inferior thing--so it doesn't matter.)

Brianne said...

I can't wait to hear about your hunting trip with him lol.

Hena Tayeb said...

he cooks! he hunts then cooks.. i like him.

Kristen @ See You In A Porridge said...

i prefer to not know where my meals come from, or what they looked like before they reached my plate lol. i hope you didn't bite off all your pretty glitter nail polish!

Marie said...

I love a good pun! I think more people need to use them. I have never had pheasant before. At least, not that I was aware of.

Hannah said...

This is awesome! I have always wanted chickens but we don't have a yard at the moment so that's not really an option for us. So I am jealous.

Amanda said...

Haha that joke is so punny. <--and I'm lame.

Torrie said...

I've always wanted to own chickens, mostly just because we basically buy more eggs than any other humans I know! Seriously, though! (Plus eggs from well-loved chickens ARE better, and they actually look different from store eggs, which I'm sure you know 100%!).

Ah, hunting. Good luck to you.

Although I will never give up meat, I'm one of those ridiculous people who like to not think *too* much about the animal as a living entity that I'm eating. Color me crazy! But hope that you have fun :)