Monday, October 17, 2016

this weekend we painted the town red. or the family room gray.

I went back to work on Friday, all hopped up on antibiotics and cold medicine.  After lunch I was talking to one of the attorneys, and he said, "Laura, you are not firing on all cylinders today."

No, no I was not.  So I left the office a half hour early so that I could make it to Sonic before happy hour ended at 4:00.  I pulled into the drive through, and for the first time ever, noticed a big sign that said, "Clearance."

And for half a second, I thought, "Wow, clearance at Sonic? I wonder what could possibly be on sale."  And then I saw "9 feet."

It was clearance height.  Of course.  

When I got home, I got settled on the couch in the living room with my tissues and my giant sweet tea, and Matt came up the stairs wearing a head lamp.

Was my fever back or did I marry a coal miner?

It turns out he was just doing a practice run for hunting on Saturday morning.  He didn't get anything while hunting, so that means I still had to go grocery shopping, and then it was time to face the music. 

And by face the music I mean paint the family room.

The family room that we tore apart two long months ago, yet still looks like this.
Upon closer inspection of the room, it was actually a lot more work than we bargained for, so we kind of stalled out.  However, Christmas is coming and I plan to celebrate all of December sitting by the fire in a freshly painted, put together family room.  We worked for several hours on Saturday afternoon and then, when I could almost SEE the paint on the walls, Matt said, "I think we need a few things at Lowe's."

And that's when I titled my memoir.

You Can Lead a Man to the Family Room, But You Can't Make Him Paint.

Coming soon to bookstores near you.

In a last ditch effort to avoid painting, Matt actually suggested that we buy paneling at Lowe's.  But fear not, clearer heads prevailed, the painting has begun, and there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  We did some yesterday and put another coat on the ceiling tonight.

Actually Matt painted the ceiling with the roller and I supervised and assisted him when he needed it. Although it's a little bit difficult to assist, because he will say things like, "Cleanup on aisle 4" which means, "Can you please get rag and wipe off that excess paint in the corner?" or "Train your eye over there," which means (I think) can you make sure I'm not missing a spot?

But we made it work.

And we have more painting on the agenda for tomorrow night.

I think Sonic might help.

And the head lamp.

19 comments:

This Is Not Nutcrackin' said...

I hate painting but love the end result. My husband refuses to help as I am way to picky. Can't wait to see the room all done!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I think you deserve some recognition for not playing the illness card and trying to get Matt to do all the painting. Not that I would do anything like that. Ahem.

I had Christmas dinner at a Sonic in New Mexico one year when I was moving from Arizona to New York and was driving cross-country. If there were a Sonic anywhere near me (or anything anywhere near me, actually . . .), I would totally do that every year. One of those extra-thick Sonic milkshakes is an excellent way to celebrate Christmas.

Robin said...

I could see myself having that moment at Sonic. My supervisor at work wants to have a Halloween "trunk or treat" for people's kids, and it took me a minute to realize that we weren't talking about dressing up like elephants. It's funny to imagine Matt saying that stuff while painting. I think he and my husband would get along very well.

Elizabeth at The Lovely Latte said...

I hate painting but I know it will look great in the end. Hope you are feeling much better today.

Ashley @ A Cute Angle said...

Cold medicine can really eff you up. I had an incident with Mucinex once. Glad to here there is now paint on your walls! Hope you are feeling better soon!

Julie said...

Good thing you didn't realize the clearance after you banged your car up or something! Hope you feel better soon!

Rebecca Jo said...

You know its bad when someone points out to you you're not on your game.
The clearance thing.. I legit busted out laughing. Only you girl - only you :)
Hope youre feeling better!

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

Ugh, painting! I hate it! I swear, following along with you and Matt right now is giving me flashbacks of when B and I were dating and he bought his first house. We painted every inch of that house and boy, was it exhausting. The end result was just so rewarding, though!

rooth said...

Hey, you'll get there... eventually. And at least y'all are having fun with it

Kristen @ See You In A Porridge said...

KC has a head lamp from his time in the marines (where he was not a coal miner, but apparently got a head lamp) and he wears it to read at night (the red light because that's better on your eyes... apparently), and sometimes he wears it around the house and it always makes me laugh.
we painted our living room 3 years ago and were so scarred by it that we only just painted 3 other rooms last week that we said we'd paint 3 years ago. we were halfway through the first room and KC was like 'i think we need stuff at lowes' and yeah. he tried to leave but no sir. i was not painting those rooms myself haha.

Sarah said...

You're so kind to say "WE stalled."I know the real story. ;)

Emily at 'a little bit of Emily' said...

I would have loved to see your face when you saw Matt walk in the room with his head lamp. Can't wait to see all the painting done. Sitting in front of the fire seems like the perfect motivation to getting it done!

SMD @ lifeaccordingtosteph said...

GAH the painting. I need to do a lot of it at the shore.

LOL @ going to Lowe's in lieu of painting. NO. The task is at hand.

Emily Jane said...

LOL @ leaving work early to go to Sonic of all places. You are seriously the cutest (and I totally want a chocolate malt now). Your family room will look wonderful once it's finished :)

Emily said...

I would read that book in a HEARTBEAT :)

Susannah said...

Oh goodness, we're in painting mode over here too. It's fun by crazy!

The Blue-Eyed Blogger said...

Absolutely love your thought about a clearance at Sonic...sounds EXACTLY like something I would do. Lol!

Kristy Sayer-Jones @ Southern In Law said...

You Can Lead a Man to the Family Room, But You Can't Make Him Paint <<< ummm, so much YES! Jesse is usually really motivated and gets things done but when it comes to painting he'll just stall and stare at it, seemingly willing that it will paint itself, haha!

Michelle said...

This gave me a massive case of the giggles. I can't wait to see how it turns out!