i'm adding icy hot and motrin to my christmas list

Tonight I am coming to you live from a Sheraton in central Pennsylvania, where I am sitting in bed eating a burrito bowl from Moe's that I'm going to wash down with a few Advil.

Why the Advil, you ask?

Well, I fell down the stairs yesterday.  And I don't mean I gracefully tripped down a few, or missed a step at the bottom.  I mean one second I was standing in the second floor hallway, and the next I was lying in a pathetic heap on the living room floor.

The reason for my fall was our Christmas tree.  I'd decided to hang some candy canes on it, and as I walked down the hallway I was admiring the festive touch the candy canes added, and forgot that I was approaching the staircase precipice.

We live in a split level, so luckily there were only six steps, but as I laid crumpled on the living room floor, my brain could not decide whether to laugh or cry.

So, I did both.

And now I just want to cry, because my right arm and left shin evidently took the brunt of the fall and are paying for it today.

Speaking of beautiful trees, we bought our first real Christmas tree yesterday.

We'd gone back (Matt) and forth (yours truly) on getting a real tree in addition to our artificial one, but yesterday we decided to stop at a few thrift stops to see if we could come across any treasures.

The very first thrift shop had a tree stand for $25.00, which is just highway robbery.  They told us that Christmas items were all marked down, and that the tree stand would be $15.00.  We were still going to pass on the it, but when we got to the back of the store, Matt found a really nice workbench, with a drawer and shelves and even a pegboard, which is apparently the hallmark of a professional workbench.  He asked the shop owner if she would take $45 for the workbench and the tree stand, and she said yes.

From there, we headed on over to Produce Junction to get a tree.  They had two signs, "BALSAM - $25," and "FANCY - $40."

I'm not sure what in fact made the fancy trees so fancy, but because I am no Christmas tree connoisseur, I said "Balsam works for me."  And five minutes later Matt was carrying our tree through the crowded grocery store parking lot, which was admittedly not as quaint and charming as waltzing in to the woods to cut our own, but BABY STEPS.

I didn't realize all that was involved with setting up a tree.  When I was growing up, my parents brought it in, got it situated in the stand, put on the lights and the garland, and I just swooped in at the end to hang the ornaments.

We brought the tree in the first time, and the hole drilled in the bottom wasn't big enough.  So we carried the tree back out.

Brought the tree back in.  Stand malfunction.

Carried the tree back out.

Brought the tree back in.

There were too many low branches for it to fit in the stand.

Carried the tree back out AND ALMOST LOST MY CHRISTMAS SPIRIT.

The fourth time was the charm, and we got the tree all situated in the stand and it was time to light 'em up.

Unfortunately, I miscalculated just how many lights that would require.

But, I'm happy to report that this was the status at 8:00 last night.


Just in time for me to go out of town for four days.

I'm sad to be away from my beautiful Christmas trees for four days, but at least I won't fall down any stairs admiring them.

Comments

Feel better! Love your tree - it was worth the head, er shin, ache.

lovelylatteblog.com
Ouuuuuuuchhh! You poor thing! I feel like we're the same person though because your recount sounds EXACTLY like something I would do, haha! Especially the laughing and crying at the same time haha.

Faith said…
Christmas trees are a hazard! ;)

Beautiful trees :) Hopefully the days go quickly that way you can be home admiring your trees without the falling. Hope you're on the mend!
rooth said…
Holy hell, watch out or else your husband is going to have to put handrails on everything. And that's one mighty good-looking tree
Brianne said…
Oh my goodness! I hope that you feel better soon! Your tree is gorgeous though, definitely worth falling for. Too soon? Hope the advil works!
Julie said…
Ouch! Hope the advil helps...however what a pretty tree!
Rebecca Jo said…
Only you can make a story of a hurt fall funny.
The tree with no lights at the bottom - you should have just left it.
This is why I love my artificial pre-lit tree.
Hope the motrin kicks in for you!
Oh no, so sorry to hear about your fall! I hope that Advil kicked in and you are feeling much better. Your first real tree experience will definitely be one to remember. It looks great by the way!!
Beautifully Candid
Angi said…
I love the way your real tree turned out - it's so symmetrical! I've never had a real tree in my life, not that I can recall anyway. My parents always had an artificial tree, and my husband and I have always had an artificial one, too. Thus far I've just been unwilling to deal with pine needles, watering it, the general mess and hassle...so we have a fake tree and burn balsam scented candles, instead.
Kelly said…
Your tree is pretty! Worth all the hard work. Probably not worth falling down the stairs though.
We always had real trees when I was a kid and I keep meaning to get a real one instead of using our sad hand-me-down fake, but... The whole buying it/bringing it home/setting it up in the stand process overwhelms me every time.
Oh my goodness, so scary! I'm glad you're OK! Thank goodness you didn't break anything! And by anything I mean your bones AND the Christmas tree. Lol.
Wow how scary I'm glad you are ok! Your tree turned out so pretty even though it was a bit of a pain. Central Pa, that's where I live!
Jen Mc said…
OH NO!!!! I hope you are going to be ok. Ice, heat and ibuprofen my friend.
Oh goodness!! I hope you are feeling better! Because your trees are so pretty! A real tree crossed my mind this year, I'm pretty sure it was a good call on my part to continue with artificial. Haha. You are way more patient than I!
We've always had a real tree, but I'm actually over it so I think we are going fake this year. Our tree stand is super easy and I think it was only like $5 bucks...too bad we can't use it anymore...or maybe we can. I don't even know if fake trees come with stands. Anyway! Crazy how your beautiful tree sent you down the stairs. Hope the pain goes away soon.
Oh my gosh, I'm so glad you're alright! That is awful. I love having a real tree. Yours is beautiful. You guys did a great job :)
alyssa said…
Well, if it's any consolation, looks like your tree is pretty and festive enough to be totally worth all the chaos surrounding it! I hope you feel better soon. Great job picking and decorating a beautiful tree!
Michelle said…
FINALLY there is someone else who fell down the stairs too! I'm so sorry you fell, though. I fell last week for the second time in the past few months. And I wasn't even admiring a tree!

You've convinced me to stick with our janky Target fake tree for now. We used to cut our own tree down in the mountains when I was a kid. They're some of my favorite childhood memories, and every time I wax poetic about it, my mom reminds me how much work a real tree was. The bugs, the sap, the dying early, the strapping it to the car, the watering it, the TREE STAND (I remember my parents having many an argument over getting the tree in that stand). Anyway, pulling our rubbermaid container out of the storage closet sounds a a little less traumatic.
Sarah said…
I am SO HAPPY you've joined us and become a multiple tree family! Beware that it's a slippery slope. This years it's two and next year it's five. ;)
Robin said…
Ouch! Glad you're okay. The tree is lovely.
Oh, ouch! Thank goodness for Advil.
aki! said…
Your tree really came together. I remember we stuck ours from last year in a corner because we could only decorate one side of it.

7% Solution