Wednesday, February 1, 2017

the epilogue is my favorite part

I've been reading a lot lately, and tonight I realized all the books I've been reading have a theme.

Give me all the beach reads. 

Last night I was reading the last few pages of Sweetwater Creek, and as I turned the page, Matt looked over and said, “Hmm.  You actually read that part of the book?"

“The epilogue?”  I said, “Of course I read it!”  

“Oh,” he said, “I don’t read any of the optional extra parts."

Matt isn’t a huge reader, but he reads here and there and evidently, sticks to the meat of the book.  No time for a prologue or epilogue.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who reads the extra parts.

When he said that, it reminded me of a few years ago when I was driving my coworker, Jen, and we were on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.  The turnpike has billboards with lights and a message that says "Urgent message when flashing - tune radio to 1640 a.m."

We passed a sign with the lights flashing, so I immediately tuned my radio to 1640 a.m., as directed.

And Jen looked over at me and said, "Wow, I've never been in the car with anyone who actually did that."

Well, I'm a rule follower on the roadway.  And on the couch when I'm reading a book.

Speaking of work, the heat in my office has been broken for the last ten days or so.  My desk is right beneath the vent, and it’s been continuously blowing a stream of freezing air.  I haven’t taken my coat off in days and even had to work with my gloves on occasion.  Yesterday a maintenance man popped his head in the office and said, “Hey, look out, we’re conducting a wind tunnel test!”  

Because "wind tunnel test" sounded ridiculous to me, I assumed he was joking around.  So I laughed and said, “Well, I sure feel like I’m in a wind tunnel!” and continued on with my work.

And three minutes later, black soot came falling like snow out of the aforementioned vent, located directly above my head.  I had my gloves on, but I wished I had been wearing a hat.

But, what stopped coming out was cold air, so I guess the end justified the means.

If only his warning had come with flashing lights and a pre-recorded message alerting me to the impending conditions.

18 comments:

Julie Wunder said...

Oh yes! I always read the whole book including the extras AND I love a good beach read year round.

Confuzzled Bev said...

I always read the prologue and epilogue. It's part of the story... what if I miss something important by NOT reading them? Although one book I read recently annoyed me because the prologue was repeated word for word in a later chapter.

Julie said...

I read all the extra parts in every book I pick up. I don't, however, always follow those "urgent" messages on the radio and tune in only if I'm in Colorado and its avalanche season on the roads we take to the ski resorts.

Rebecca Jo said...

OH man... I would have totally said you deserved a free day off work to go clean up after that. UGH.

I read the prologues too -I always feel like it totally sets the tone of the book & you miss out if you dont. Now I'm curious how many people DO skip it?

Kelly said...

I love the epilogue in books too, or you know in movies when they shown the what-happened-next during the credits? I like seeing that they actually DID live happily ever after.

lauren m. croke said...

I've never thought of them as "optional" - guess that makes me a rule follower, too! ;)

I can't imagine working with a steady cool breeze in my office - you are truly a hardy soul lol. Glad it got fixed!!!

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

I love the new look of your blog! It looks great!

Leslie said...

Oh my gosh, I'm glad you survived that wind tunnel test! You'd think they would have actually given you more of a heads up! Also, I always read the epilogue and prologue...although sometimes I read the prologue at the end because it makes more sense to me after I've read the book...which I know is weird. Also, Matt's approach to reading is totally my husband's too!

rooth said...

I've lost the motivation to read the "author's note" in the very beginning, particularly if they're multiple pages long. Then again, I'm not known for my patience. My office is disgustingly cold as well - they have USB powered heated gloves if you need them!

Michelle said...

James and I had the same conversation recently about the prologue and epilogue. He never reads them (and he rarely reads anyway--the horror). The epilogue is ALWAYS the best part. You miss so much closure without it.

Kristy Sayer-Jones @ Southern In Law said...

Umm... so I'm pretty sure Matt and Jesse are long lost brothers because Jesse I was reading a book yesterday (which I finished in four hours) and Jesse said "what?! You're even reading that! I don't even read any of the optional extras and it still takes me way longer than you" and I was like "since when are forewords and epilogues optional?!"

That's often the best stuff - especially the epilogue when you're finished but you reaaaaaaaaaaaaaallly want more, haha.

Rachel said...

For me, it depends on the book whether or not I read the extras. If I love it, I read everything--the dedication, the author bio, the epilogue, the info. If it was just okay, then I don't bother.

The Lady Okie said...

I'm not sure how anyone can NOT read the prologue and epilogue. They are part of the story! That seems odd. I read literally everything: the dedication, author's note, introduction, author bio.... blame it on my day job ;) I love all that stuff.

Heather Hawkins said...

I need to do more reading this year... these all look like great books. Also, it looks like you updated your blog a little, I like it!

jenn said...

if i don't give up on a book halfway through... YES, i'll read the extra parts.

i've been hanging out with one of my writing friends, who is one hundred percent opposed to prologues and epilogues (just start with the action, she says... EVERY TIME she opens a book to find the word prologue. if she sees that word, she'll put the book back on the shelf). anyway... the more i hang out with her, the more i see her point, and the less fond i am of prologues and epilogues.

JKemper said...

The wind tunnel test- that is hilarious! I had to read that part to my husband.

And I normally read the extra parts. With the exception of classics and their introductions. Most introductions to classics are some long winded snooze fest in an attempt to make the writer of the introduction sound extra smart.

Audrey Louise said...

I feel like the epilogue is one of the best parts! I love knowing what happens later on to my favorite characters!

My husband and I were driving a familiar route once and there were all these orange signs and flashing signs, but we were talking and just ignored them. Turns out the highway we were following was ending for construction and when we got there we were like, "WHAT??" and then had to backtrack. Hahahaha!

Kristen @ See You In A Porridge said...

i have never met anyone who doesn't read the epilogue. that is 100% the best part. i don't really read notes or acknowledgements most of the time, but a prologue or epilogue is part of the story. it's kind of freaking me out a little bit. haha.