Monday, April 25, 2011

an easter shirt, and an almost easter bonnet

Let me preface this by saying that I had no plans to write several hundred words about shopping for an Easter outfit.  Apparently I have more to say about the issue than even I realized, and once I got started I got a bit carried away.

Friday night I went out in search of an Easter outfit because there’s nothing like leaving things for the last minute.  I cannot remember the last time I shopped for clothes all by myself, and I learned that I am the epitome of indecisive when it comes to making clothing choices independently.  For example, I couldn’t decide if I wanted to commit to this shirt or not, so I sent this text to my sister and made a lovely face just for her benefit.
 She told me she HATED the shirt and that I absolutely should not get it.  I really did like it and was surprised at her strong negative reaction, so when I got home I asked her what was so terrible about it. 

Do you know what she said?  “Looks too much like what I’m going to wear for Easter.”  Lovely.

I also found some stylish shoes I wanted to try to work my Easter outfit around, but just couldn’t quite decide on which pair I loved most. 


 Kidding.  Well, about the last two pairs.  I really, really, really did almost buy the first ones because I have just been searching and searching for a shoe with some sort of animal print for what seems like forever and these just sang a sweet song to me from the top shelf the sale rack.  Emily’s response upon my seeking her shoe advice via text was “No. No. No. No. Leave the store now.  Resist the temptation.”

Lately I’ve been thinking that I need to incorporate some color into my wardrobe, because right now it pretty much consists only of black, white, and various shades of brown.  But you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, and I ended up leaving the store with gray pants and a cream colored top, both of which I will be returning.  They were purchased in a fit of fashion desperation.

I was ready to continue the search on Saturday morning, but this time Emily, and her honesty, came with me.  I saw this lovely dress in the window of a thrift store...
 ...and we decided to go in to check it out.  Unfortunately parking close to the store would have required me to parallel park, which is a maneuver I generally try to avoid.  So we parked in this shady lot and just walked quickly.
Sad news.  The store was closed.  So, it was off to the mall.  When we got there we had about four hundred conversations that went something like this…

Me: Do you like this dress?
Emily:  Yeah, it’s cute.
Me:  It costs $45.00.  Do you think it’s $45.00 cute?
Emily: Yeah, I think so.
Me:  Are you sure?  I think it might just be $30.00 cute.
Emily:  Maybe.
Me: I just don’t know if I $45.00 love it.
Emily: Okay.
Me: Does it scream EASTER?
Emily: I don’t know.
Me: I really think it’s only about $30.00 cute. Not $45.00 cute.  And it’s not really screaming EASTER to me.
Emily: Then pick out another one.
Me: Okay, how about this one?

Emily: No, that’s ugly.

And on. And on. And on.

Finally we headed to H&M, where my favorite moment of the afternoon occurred.  I was furiously digging through the rack trying to find a cute peach skirt in my size.  I turned around to ask Emily’s opinion, and she’s standing next to me, serious as can be, wearing this hat…
The traditional Easter straw hat.

She wore it totally seriously for the next few minutes while she spouted off her opinion on various styles and patterns.  It made me so happy. 

Finally I decided on a lovely blue shirt from H&M.  Emily approved, and it was definitely $24.95 cute.

And that concludes this post.  If you read the whole thing, that is surely an Easter miracle.

13 comments:

Sarah said...

1. That is an adorable dress,but I agree-maybe not $45 dollars cute especially if it was at a consignment store.

2. I went to the mall on Saturday to buy a new Spring coat and experienced the same indecisive problems.

3. I ended my Easter post with the same exact phrase!!! :)

Sarah said...

I read it and can totally relate!!! It's rare that any shirt is more than $25 cute. Heck, it's rare that anything is more than $25 cute. I am a coupon, thrift store, gift card kind of girl. Oh and I would have purchased that hat is if was in the $15 or less range. Hats are totally in and always make a statement!

Rebecca said...

I can't believe that with all the suspense you didn't actually show us the final product! Picture of blue shirt please :)

A Nerd and A Free Spirit said...

Okay funny story. I own the second pair of shoes. The burgandy velvety ballet flats with the bow. I got them for Christmas. I wear them with skinny jeans and I always get compliments! (-:

~K

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Did the hat get bought too? Haha! I'm the same way when it comes to buying clothing. I always ask myself if it's worth the price!

Lindsay - Paint Me A Picture said...

I agree with Rebecca. You need to post a picture of you IN your Easter miracle attire :)

Just me said...

Hahaha I am just the same as you on the indecisiveness - the conversation sounds all too familiar! - and also on the parallel parking! I'll go any distance to avoid that.

Mary ♥ Mur said...


Your blog is amazing! Love it!♥

ae said...

I really need to add more color to my wardrobe as well. I went shopping for a new dress this weekend as well and wound up buying two . . . one was black the other was black & white!

Emily said...

It was NOT that hat!!! It was totally whiter, and the brim was wider, and it had a BLACK band, not a BLUE one and there were no holes in it. I'm done. Goodbye.

Things to Do said...

That dress is super cute. Have you planned a return trip to get it when it's open?

And does it take you like hours to shop at H&M, I swear it takes me forever to look through all the options?

Laura said...

I love the zebra shoes!!!!!

Baby Sister said...

I love the zebra shoes!! Oh, and, I always do that when shopping. "Is this $35.00 cute?" Yep yep yep.