Wednesday, January 25, 2012

and that's all i have to say about that

Do you know what's a little bit weird?  Going back to your college campus after you graduated.

Do you know what's even weirder (more weird?) than that?  Going back to your college campus for a work conference.

And do you what is weirdest of all?  Going back to your college campus, Penn State, for a work conference the week after Joe Paterno, the most famous coach in college football, died.  

I grew up in a Penn State household, and loving Joe Paterno came with the territory.  When I became a Penn State student in 2006, my love and admiration for the old man only increased.

At this point, after all that has come out with the Penn State scandal, my feelings about Joe Paterno are admittedly a wee bit conflicted.  As a proud PSU alum and fan, I feel one way.  As a girl who hopes she would do the right thing in a tough situation, I feel another.  And finally, as someone who works in child welfare and all too often sees the heartbreaking results of people who "should have done more," I feel another way.

Still, I took a trip over to the statue of Joe Paterno after my conference today, and it was certainly a sight to see.

 











7 comments:

Erin said...

Great post! I feel the same way. I wish I had the time to make it up there this week. Hopefully I'll get up there soon to pay my respects. I did a similar post today too, if you're interested...

http://everythingaccordingtoerin.blogspot.com/2012/01/tribute-to-joe-paterno.html

Renee said...

Thanks so much for sharing these pictures! Love seeing this! I really hope they don't take the Joe Pa statue down after all this.

meme-and-he said...

WOW. loved seeing all those pics, I am sure it was surreal to be there.

Molly said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog!

I'm always kind of fascinated by the depth of school sports spirit, since I currently go to a school where the general attitude is "wait, we have a football team?" It's great to be able to have such a big influence on people's lives though. This seems like a tough issue. Does failing to do the right thing once invalidate any other positive choice you've ever made? I hesitate to make that leap, but it's hard to say.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Wow! I hadn't heard anything about the statue coming down. I really hope it remains there!

Kristin said...

wow thats quite the site

Baby Sister said...

All that support is incredible!! My feelings are a bit conflicted too, but I'm glad he made an impact on people.