who knows...this just might be the year of the pigtails

On New Year's Eve Matt and I headed into the city to see the midnight fireworks show.  You could say we started the new year off with a bang.

Oh, the puns.  They have followed me into 2012.

And, because we are people of class and sophistication, we arrived downtown in style.  And by style, I mean in a stretch Range Rover.


Oh, I kid.  We actually took the train, which is admittedly far less glamorous, but just as eventful.  When we saw the fireworks last New Year's Eve, we drove downtown.  However, this year Matt has a new job, an office in the city, and  RAILPASS.  And you better believe that he jumps at every opportunity to use that bad boy.  

In fact, he is such a serious railpass user that he brought his December AND January passes to the city, since we would be riding down on December 31st and coming home on January 1st.  What a rule follower.

We got the 9:50 train so that we would be in the city in plenty of time for festivities.  The train sped along from station to station, until about 4 stops from our destination, when the train came to a dead stop.  And did not start up again.  After about ten minutes the conductor walked from car to car and announced that we had a "stop signal" and we would have to wait until the signal maintainer could come out rescue us.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO US!

As you might imagine, that news did not exactly thrill the passengers on the packed train, most of whom had already consumed one or twelve celebratory beverages and, understandably, didn't want to ring in the new year on a crowded, hot commuter train.

As we were waiting for Mr. Signal Maintainer to make his way out to our stranded train, I decided to show Matt the photos on my phone.   I scrolled through several photos of my Christmas tree and nail polish and several pictures of dinner plates piled with food.  Looking back I can't recall why I thought it was necessary to take pictures of my dinner nearly every night, but luckily I now have several images of rice and chicken saved FOREVER.  

About seven pictures in, I scrolled once more.  And oh, it was a fatal scroll.  Let's just say the combination of unexpectedly getting out of work early, a new hairbrush, and a whole lot of hair product led to some fantastic pigtails.  That I photographed.  

And then texted the picture to Emily because sometimes I like to brighten her day with a little humor.


Kind of like the time I sent her this picture, with the message, "HELLO FROM THE SUPPLY CLOSET!"


Anyway, since Matt was staring right at my phone, he unfortunately saw the Pigtail Picture before I even realized what was happening.  I tried to scroll to the next picture and act like NOTHING HAPPENED, PLEASE PRETEND THAT WAS JUST ANOTHER PICTURE OF RICE AND CHICKEN, but he said, "Whoa.  What was that?"

Busted.

After a brief explanation I changed the subject and Pigtail Picture Incident '11 was but a memory.  And finally, about forty five minutes later, Mr. Signal Maintainer fixed our train and we were back on track.

The puns.  I can't stop.

We made it to the city and walked around and watched the fireworks and welcomed 2012 in a big way. 
 

After the show was over, the streets were packed with people.

As we turned to leave the riverfront, Matt looked at me and said, "Okay, hold my hand and don't let go.  We are about to do some STRANGE things."

Hmm.  Now there's a statement that needs further clarification.

It turns out that what Matt meant by "strange things" was simply that we were going to power walk back to the train station to avoid missing our return train, and he didn't want us to get separated.

And so, we hurried back to the train station, pausing just long enough for Matt to give the guards at the Liberty Bell a special Happy New Year shout-out, and for me to gaze longingly at the stretch Range Rover.

The ride home on the train was uneventful, but I bet riding home in that Range Rover sure would have been nice.

Although, I don't know if they let girls who have an affinity for pigtails ride in Range Rovers.

Happy 2012!


Comments

20 Going on 80 said…
Haha loved this post, you are too funny!
Mallory said…
Tell that boyfriend of yours that thinking powerwalking is a "STRANGE thing" is a strange thing. :)
Samantha said…
Those pig tails are stupendous.

New Year's Eve seemed like a blast!!
Chelsea said…
hahaha I was literally laughing out loud- love your writing style!
GreenGirl said…
Happy New Year!!! I was down the street from YOUR new digs on NYE!
May 2012 bring lots of happiness!
Baby Sister said…
I think you totally rocked the pigtails. :) I'm glad you got to see the fireworks, instead of being stuck underground. Although you could have been like Cory and Topanga in Boy Meets World and had your own NYE party underground. I think I've been watching too much of that show...

Happy New Year!! :)
Jane said…
Hahahaha! I love the ponytail picture! Brilliant style, idk why you don't wear your hair like that all the time.
the supply closet pic makes me laugh. we would be good friends. ha. and i'm pretty sure they craziest stuff happens just to you and only you. a railway stop, really? some serious bad luck sister! :) hope you have a happy new year!
Morgan said…
I powerwalk every time I walk so it wouldn't have been strange at all to me. I usually leave people behind cause I just like to get places and I'm a big ol meanie pants. Oh and if you are with me and it starts raining, you get left behind in a heartbeat. It's not that I don't love my friends and family, it's that this hair does not need to get wet - no one wants to see that.
Cool post, you never know what kind of adventures you'll encounter in Philly!

Thanks for visiting my blog :)...I'm really liking being a paralegal so far, although I have a LOT to learn! Happy New Year!
Ahh, another Penn State blogger!! Umm, I think I may love you. Ha.:)
Glad you had a fun NYE in the city! I love that he bought his passes so he'd have it come midnight.
AaReAn said…
I love the pigtails...who says you can't wear pigtails if you're over a certain age?!? :-)

xoxo
Aarean

p.s. come check out my camera bag giveaway! I think you'd really like it!
colorissue.blogspot.com
newest follower! your blog title makes me want to say 'oh laura dahlinn' lol