the silver lining is that at least we know the smoke alarms work

The other night I decided to cook myself some dinner.   Having recently moved out on my own, I am learning that contrary to popular belief, woman cannot survive on tuna sandwiches alone.  And so, on Sunday evening I summoned my culinary courage and entered the kitchen with a plan to cook myself some chicken.  I turned the oven to 400 degrees, and I decided to wash some dishes while I waited for it to preheat.  

Well, I was elbow deep in soapy water when I heard the smoke alarm in the hallway go off.  Luckily my natural fire prevention instincts kicked in immediately.  Which means I grabbed the red towel off the counter, ran to the hallway, and started waving wildly beneath the smoke alarm.

Problem solved.

For two minutes.

Five (literal) false alarms later, I dragged the kitchen chair to the smoke detector and disconnected that sucker.  Relieved, I went back to the kitchen and put the chicken in the oven.  

And then I heard another smoke alarm.  This time, it was the one in my bedroom. I decided it was time to step up my game in the towel waving department because I was becoming slightly concerned that a neighbor might call 911 thinking that some sort of fire was surely burning in my apartment.  OH NO, LAURA'S JUST MAKING DINNER.

Here is a photo of the smoke alarm in question.  Please note the LAUGH sign on the door frame and it's close proximity to the smoke alarm.
I will admit that placing that laugh sign on top of the door frame and then neglecting to secure it with any sort of 3M product was a poor decision on my part.  However, it is covered in glitter and the decorating scheme for my new room did not include sparkle.  I just couldn't let go of that sign though, and decided above the door would be the perfect home for it.

That is until I waved my red towel underneath it like a wild woman, hit it, and it came crashing off the door frame.  Right onto my head.

I feel a bit dramatic saying this, but the impact was so hard that I actually had to sit down on the floor.  Underneath the blaring smoke alarm.  Holding my red towel.

Right then I wished that I had been waving a white towel.  OF SURRENDER. 

I am happy to report that I was eventually able to pick myself up and disconnect the second smoke alarm.  And the result was peace and quiet, a delicious chicken dinner, and a decision that next time, I might just make tuna.

Comments

Carla said…
Thanks for giving me a laugh. I was already chuckling when I read the title. There's always takeout. :)
Sarah said…
I am well acquainted with have to wave a towel in front of a fire alarm. It is one of the important life skills I took with me into marriage! :)
Jessica said…
You are not alone!
I was cooking pizza when this happened in my apartment and I ended up sitting on the ground under the smoke alarm with my wine in hand, just looking up, clueless. I finally got the stupid thing unplugged.
Thank the Lord for tuna ;)

xo,
Jessica
Anonymous said…
Sounds to me like you need to clean your oven. Welcome to the real world, where not only do you have to cook your own meals, but no one cleans your oven for you either. I will say it's a good thing you got that knob fixed, though.
Amanda said…
oh girl this is too funny! i'm glad your dinner was delicious after all that! i have set off the smoke alarms many times....and we had to go take them all down. :)
Morgan said…
Ahh! This reminds me of cooking in my rinky dink dorm room....
Amanda said…
I know I shouldn't laugh but this whole situation turned out quite comical. I'm glad your delicious dinner turned out great, however, why was there smoke coming from your oven? Or was it just the heat?
Meredith said…
Haha, about half the times I try to cook something, the smoke alarm goes off. So annoying! I hope your head feels better!
Oh I love it! Despite how useful fire alarms may be when a real fire is flaming, they are completely annoying when you're just trying to make dinner! :)
Reccewife said…
ugh, I have the same problems with my alarms! And I am definately jsut as quick with a towel (though I have no idea how I would deal with an actual emergency)
Jas said…
Hey, don't knock the tuna. If you live near a Trader Joe's, check out their boxed tuna curry. It's amazing. And it's a dollar. If you make it over rice, it's enough for two meals per box.

And it's DELICIOUS.

Yay for being out on your own! I hope that it's fun and exciting. :D
Samantha said…
No worries. I had to figure out my oven and house temp to avoid the fire alarm going off continuously too.
Lol! I once set off a fire alarm and those things are so loud!!