Wednesday, January 18, 2012

another day, another culinary mishap

Well, I really planned to write about my weekend on Monday night, but since I pretty much talked non-stop from Friday afternoon until Monday evening, I was out. of. words. by the time I sat down to write this post.  And then last night I spent the evening wandering around Nieman Marcus with Michelle and pretending I had several hundred dollars to blow on a new cashmere cardigan. 

Back to this weekend.  My college roommate Heather came to visit!  She arrived on Saturday afternoon and after some nourishment in the form of Chick Fil A, we hit the mall.  I am on the hunt for a new purse, and I found this one marked down from $100 to just $30.  

 
I almost bought it, but in the end decided not to because I thought it was a little too much like "HELLO, MY PINK PURSE AND I HAVE ARRIVED."

Now, these boots?

 Totally understated and mature.

We spent several hours at the mall browsing and talking and talking and talking and talking.  On the way home we stopped at the food store and got some Celeste pizzas for dinner because I like to impress my guests with gourmet meals.

Actually, Sunday night I actually did prepare a delicious crock pot chicken meal for us to enjoy.  It was ready around 6:00 and all I had to do was make some instant mashed potatoes to go with it because listen, sometimes a girl needs an easy side dish.  I boiled the water and dumped the potatoes in just like the directions said, but began to sense a bit of a problem when they didn't start to thicken as the directions claimed they would.  It looked more like a pot of murky water than steaming hot potatoes, and as I tried to figure out where things went wrong Heather came over and said, "The directions call for two CUPS of water.  You used two QUARTS."

Whoops.

Never let it be said that I don't know how to show my guests a good meal. 

I had the day off on Monday and I spent it visiting my mom and Emily, having lunch with a friend, and going for a walk with Matt.  The grand finale of the weekend was the Bachelor, which is arguably one of the most intellectually stimulating shows on tv.  You just can't hear someone say, "On a scale of one to ten...I feel like I'm going to throw up" on any old show.  

In a nutshell, this weekend was a good one.  I got to relax, shop, and see a whole bunch of my favorite people.

And also, I was able to make potato water.  I bet not many people can say they did that this weekend.

6 comments:

Erin said...

2 quarts, 2 cups. Tomato, tomato (I hope you could hear me saying it the way you're supposed to) LOL. We all do it.

Anonymous said...

You know, funny is one thing, but some things probably should remain private.

Rebekah said...

Girl you crack me up!!

GreenGirl said...

I love Neiman Marcus.
I go there for two things...my Kiels (if I dont feel like heading to Rittenhouse) or my Chanel lipgloss...like once a year.
My NM credit card is sitting in ice in my freezer...no good can come from that thing defrosting!
I'm going to drop you an email now too!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Haha, I've done something like that before when cooking. I think you made a good choice on the purse..

Baby Sister said...

Ahhh yes, I have done that before. Lol. I particularly remember a batch of cookies...that was a sad day.