the best and easiest homemade iced coffee


I've never done a "how to" post before, but I have to share this.

Iced coffee is one of my favorite treats, and Dunkin' Donuts is my favorite place to get it.  In fact, I've written about my love of Dunkin' Donuts a time or ten on this blog.

I'm not exaggerating.

There was the time they falsely advertised pumpkin flavored beverages.

And the time Emily had to low brow it at DD instead of her usual Starbucks.

And of course, the time I incorrectly counted my change and didn't have enough to pay my bill and so I pretended I did not speak English.

Unfortunately, a large iced coffee at my beloved DD runs upwards of three American dollars, and since I haven't won the lottery yet I decided I should figure out how to make my own version at home.  After many trial runs, I think I've finally perfected my recipe.

Most recipes I found online involved cold brewing coffee for days, but I didn't think that would work for me because I already have an economy sized box of K-cups and also, I do not own the cheesecloth required to strain the coffee grounds, nor do I know where to buy it.

First, brew hot coffee, add a tiny bit of sugar, and freeze in ice cube trays.  I make a bunch at once and keep it in a bag in my freezer.  I like to make some cubes big and some tiny so that I can fit as many as possible in my cup.

A little caffeine maximization, if you will.

When I wake up each morning, I fill a glass with the coffee cubes and pour milk over them.  I add a spoonful of sweetened condensed milk if I'm in the mood to take a walk on the wild side.

Or really, a walk of any kind.  Because S.C.M. isn't exactly low calorie.

I stir it all up and let the ice cubes melt while I dry my hair and do my makeup, and it's perfect by the time I'm ready to walk out the door.

Since I've been making my own iced coffee, I haven't even had the urge to visit Dunkin' Donuts.

But obviously, I will have to go back sometime.  I'm going to need new blog material eventually.

Comments

MilitaryPugWife said…
I have to try this!! Seems so easy!! Thanks!! Xxoo
Robin said…
I think I will try this, but maybe with flavored creamer instead of milk (my husband likes hazelnut and sweet cream). Thank you for sharing!
Morgan Apfel said…
I was at Trader Joes yesterday and they were heavily advertising this "cold brew coffee" and I had a sample, which was delicious, but it was $7.99 for a little bottle!! I was like, what the hell is this made of?! Certainly not coffee lol. So, I really like this idea because it seems much more reasonable, but I'm kicking myself that last time we moved I threw my ice cube trays in the goodwill bag. Also, I used to be a DD addict also. Luckily I don't live near one anymore lol.

x. Morgan
Amanda Klein said…
OMG. This. Post. First, loving the how-to and I'm totally trying your iced coffee ways asap. Second, you are cracking my up with sentences like "trying to fit in as many ice cubes as possible" thus the large and tiny, and a walk after S.C.M., lol. Finally, your DD reviews?? Hi-larious. This post needs an award :)
Haha that's one way to make up for not having the right amount. This looks so good! Coffee has gotten so expensive.
Baby Sister said…
All of those stories are hilarious, so yes, you better return to DD. Because there always seems to be something funny that happens there.
Bijoux said…
This is a fabulous idea! One of my daughters loves iced coffee, so I will share it with her.
This looks absolutely DELICIOUS and beyond refreshing!
I'm going to need to try this! Love iced coffee in the summer time. I remember reading your post about getting the change wrong and pretending not to speak english - seriously the funniest thing ever! Thanks for sharing! Lucy :)
tina bumblebee said…
Ahhhhh coffee ice cubes is such a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rebecca Jo said…
Sold....I'm trying this. I gota get ice trays first....
YUM!!!! Your version sounds amazing!! My "iced coffee" was always just regular coffee over ice, with some cream and it never was quite as good. Will definitely be trying this!!
BLovedBoston said…
I need to surprise my husband with this - he loves iced coffee! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston
I see that you are DD girl but....the Starbucks cold coffee at the grocery store in in the milk section - good stuff if you ever get in a pinch and don't want to make anything! This recipe looks great! xo Amanda
Liz Joiner said…
Ummm..this is such a perfect idea. Especially down in the south, with the heat as it is, I have to try this out!

liz @ sundays with sophie
Emily said…
Yumm what a great idea! I'm going to have to try this especially as it's hot out.
Have you tried the Starbucks Iced Coffee at the grocery store? Near the OJ and milk? It's pretty good and only $5 for the carton, I'm obsessed with the lightly sweetened one. Just a thought. I have seen the frozen coffee ice cubes, I need to get on it! xoxo, ganeeban
Holy deliciousness! Those ice cubes are genius :-D
Miss Caitlin S. said…
what a FABULOUS idea!!! seriously, easy-peazy and looks great.
I'm not a big coffee drinker but I think my husband and my mom would love me forever if I made them this
Alia said…
easy and yummy!
Evelina said…
I have so many K-Cups lying around! I don't love them hot so I am totally going to make iced coffee with them. Such an easy recipe. Thank you for sharing!!
I've heard so many good things about the coffee ice cubes trick! I really need to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!
I will try this for sure, but just let me shave off ten lbs, before that! LOL
You go girl! I prefer the cold brew but this is nice too!
Katelyn Sloan said…
Cannot wait to try this!!! Sounds delish! Xo
i don't drink coffee but this is just brilliant!
I totally need to do this - now I just need to find the ice cube trays. The last time I used them were when I was making baby food!
So, Im not a regular coffee drinker, but anything in a mason jar just does it for me ;)