all you need is love and the appropriate level of humidity

One day late last week, I noticed that our neighbor Diane's patio was covered in water.  It was a sunny day and the temps were above freezing, so I figured the icicles on her house were melting.

And then, on Saturday morning, we noticed that our side yard and backyard were filling up with water, which led us to believe that the source of the forming glacier was something more substantial than a few icicles.  

Since the temperature was about, oh, FIVE DEGREES, we assumed that Diane had a frozen pipe that burst.  When she got home, Matt knocked on her door to alert her to the flood, but she didn't answer.  So, we went on with our lives like newbie homeowners without an insurance-related care in the world and woke up on Sunday to a pond in our backyard.


And our side yard.
And a damp crawlspace.

So, we did what any responsible homeowners would do and called the police department for the second time in as many months.

It's only a matter of time until the put us on a do not call list.

When the officer arrived and surveyed the damage, he said, "Whoa.  I've never seen anything like this."

Our neighbor still wasn't home, so the officer and Matt looked around next door, and after searching for the source of a few puddles the officer discovered that the water was actually coming from the next house up.

Specifically, their garden hose.

Which they'd left on, running at a moderate to full blast.

I peeked out the kitchen window while the officer woke up the homeowner and she came outside in her pajamas to learn that her garden hose had been running for days and flooding the yards of the next five houses and probably racking up quite the water bill.

Ironically, while there were six inches of water in our backyard, the inside of our house was hovering around 12% relative humidity.  By comparison, the annual average humidity in the Sahara desert is 25%.  We'd purchased a humidifier the week before, but it broke and flooded and ruined our bureau and I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT.

But, it was AWFUL.  Every time we touched a light switch, sparks flew.  Our voices were hoarse.  And both Matt and I woke up in the middle of the night Sunday because of dry air.

HOW HIGH MAINTENANCE IS THAT?

Finally, at 2 am, as I leaned over the glass of water on my nightstand and took deep, dramatic breaths, Matt said, "Do you want me to go to WalMart and buy a humidifier?"

Forget the Valentine's Day chocolates and flowers.  True love is a man who is willing to go to WalMart in sub zero temperatures at 2 am to buy you a humidifier.

In the end, we decided to tough it out.  We'd ordered a new humidifier online and it arrived Tuesday, around the same time that our backyard started to dry out.

And Matt did get me beautiful flowers for Valentine's Day.

I've done some research on orchids, and they can last forever, as long as the humidity is right.

One way or another, I think we can make that happen.

Comments

Leslie said…
LOL, best of luck getting the right amount of humidity in your home! Those flowers are absolutely gorgeous and so unique. True love really is even offering to go get a humidifier at 2am in the morning!

That is so crazy about your neighbor and their water hose. I seriously wonder how much their water bill was?! Hope you're having a great weekend!
Ahhh the humidifier. I always wait too long to bring it out of the basement storage area and I swear I could light a candle with the sparks.
Did he know that orchids need humidity? Or was that just a wonderful coincidence?? I honestly don't know if I've ever used a humidifier. And, I've lived in humid places. Hmmmmm I wonder why that is....
Jaclyn said…
Seriously? WHO and WHY were they running their garden hose in that weather?! Smh!!! Lol and too funny about the humidifier. Do you think he got orchids on purpose?
Emily said…
You have the BEST homeowner stories, ha! Humidity slowly feels like the air is choking you and it's just wonderful, isn't it?
Marie said…
Who runs a their garden hose in the winter like that? How crazy. A humidifier is a must need in the winter. Those orchids are beautiful! What a lucky gal you got, your husband is a doll!
I love Orchids! They are my absolute favorite. I used to water mine with 3-4 ice cubes every other week and it worked well! Have a wonderful week!
Wow that is crazy about the pond forming in your backyard. Glad the police figured out that it was the hose. And you have a great man to go get you a humidifier (or would do that) at all hours of the night.
Baby Sister said…
Free fish pond for you?

Why in the world did she even have her hose on at all? That's just crazy.

That orchid is beautiful!! I hope you don't have to live in the Sahara Desert to keep it alive. :)
Evelina said…
Orchids really love humidity! A lot of people keep them in their bathrooms! I am on the hunt for a good humidifier as well. Do you recommend your 2am walmart one? And how silly (for lack of a better word, actually i can think of plenty but want to keep things PG) of your neighbour to not notice their hose was running for days? I can't even imagine.
Jenna said…
Oh MY GOODNESS! I feel sick thinking of your neighbor's water bill but am glad to hear it wasn't a pipe that had burst or any issue with your house! Crazy, crazy!

Your Valentine's orchid is gorgeous :) I've somehow managed to kill a few orchids... I am literally the worst plant mom in the entire world.
oh my gosh, your neighbour! that is insane. i would be so embarrassed and also terrified of my water bill.

i don't own a humidifier, do i need one?! i'm scared. any time someone offers to go to walmart, regardless of time, that's true love!
Tammy Jo said…
Why in the world was the water hose running!! Beautiful flowers!!!
Oh man! 1. I love that you called the police. 2. Humidifiers are amazing. We installed one in our hour when we moved to Utah. Far too dry for me!
Corie M said…
Oh no!! What did the neighbor have to say?! Lol
Frikken Duckie said…
Omg that's insane! Why would her hose be on in freezing temperatures though?

Love the flowers. Orchids are one of my faves.
Christina said…
OMG! All that water from a garden hose? That's insane. I hope your new humidifier is doing it's thing and you guys recovered from the water! I love, love, love that orchid! My husband bought me one a few years ago and it bloomed about three times. Then we got kittens and the type of orchid we had is toxic to cats so I had to give it up. Boo.
iris said…
Those are lovely flowers! Hopefully the humidity issues clear up, that sounds terrible!