i returned home more relaxed than ever

On our third day in Baltimore we headed back to the Inner Harbor to tour some more boats.   On the way, we stopped in the Barnes and Noble because I wanted to see if it was really more than one story.

It was.  And it was amazing in there.

The first boat was a lighthouse boat.  This is Matt's navigating face.  And mine.  

One of us would sail safely, one of us would crash the vessel into land.

Next, we explored a submarine.  It was not a yellow submarine, but it was the most fascinating thing to see.  It blew my mind to see all of the gauges and gears and instruments.  Technology has come a long way, but how impressive to see how detailed and intricate things were then.
Torpedoes from this very submarine sank the last enemy ships during WWII.  I never thought about the size of a torpedo, but there were several on the boat, and they are not small.

You know what was small?  The beds.  And the kitchen. 

And the doorways.  Matt would've had a rough time if he lived on a submarine.

After we were back on land, we walked (and walked, and walked, and walked) to the Baltimore Museum of Industry.  There were a few school trips, and evidently nothing makes a big group of 8 year old kids more excited than a printing press demonstration and automatic soap dispensers in a public restroom.

On our walk back to the harbor, my Fitbit died.  I could have cried.  We almost got a cab because what is the point of walking if your steps don't count?  In the end we decided to hoof it back to the harbor, where we went against Matt's vacation rule of "don't eat at any chain restaurants" and stopped for lunch at The Cheesecake Factory.

We were seated directly beside a class trip.  They were funny, but they were loud.  We left just as they were initiating a root beer chugging contest, and headed over to the Baltimore World Trade Center.  You can ride the elevator to the top floor, and since it was such a beautiful day, we were anxious to see the view.

It did not disappoint.
(That photo at the top right is the submarine we toured.)

We sat up there for a long time.  We watched a cruise ship sail away, and saw a tug boat pull a barge.  Matt works in a skyscraper every day, but I only work on the second floor, so to me it was strangely relaxing and mesmerizing to watch the world go by beneath us.   

Finally we walked back to Fell's Point.  After we relaxed for a little bit, we went out to a tapas place for dinner.  We tried all sorts of dishes and fancy cocktails and had the best time.

  


The next morning we took one more stroll around Fell's Point and got some gourmet donuts, because why not end a trip with bacon on top of a chocolate frosted donut?

It was a wonderful vacation.  I think I'll schedule one per month.

Comments

Two story bookstores are my favorite! We went to one in NYC once and I was in HEAVEN. I could have stayed there all day.
oh wow, i would love to tour a submarine. how interesting! those doors are so fun.
we try not to eat at like fast food places when we travel, we used to have the chain restaurant rule but we break that often. when my mum and her friend came to the US in september we ate at the cheesecake factory 4 times in like 9 days. i am so over that place haha but they kept wanting to go back.
Brianne said…
Those views are gorgeous! A vacation once a month sounds like a great idea. I have the same chain restaurant rule.
Rebecca Jo said…
I'm feeling like I cant breath just SEEING the sub pics. NO NO NO NO NO.
I would have just stayed in that bookstore ALL DAY LONG!
Sounds good to me - I want a vacation once a month too :) Seems fair
Marie said…
I would love to tour a submarine. How fun!! I would love to have a vacation once a month!! Looks like you both had a super fun time in Balti!
What an awesome trip! I feel like one vacation a month sounds like a good idea ;) If only! :P
Jane said…
Wow I've never been to Baltimore but after looking at your pictures I'm pretty much ready to go spend a few days there ASAP!
Sarah said…
You had a charming vacation!! I think when you retire from your current career you should work for a travel job and get paid to visit these fun places.
One per month? Yes please! You're too funny!

So glad you guys had a great time and that you got to go to the bookstore, of course!
We have a two story Barns & Noble in LA and I can totally get lost in there for hours!

Looks like Baltimore is beautiful! Unfortunately I've heard bad things about the city, but this post is making me think otherwise. It looks gorgeous! And I love going to places with a view for sightseeing so the World Trade Center is right up my alley :)
AnneMarie said…
Oh, I like the "don't eat at chain restaurants" rule! Though Cheesecake factory seems like a good reason to ignore it :) That two story B&N looks absolutely amazing, and I would probably spend hours in there.
Michelle Ravin said…
I've always wanted to visit Baltimore- these pics are gorgeous!
What a great trip! I love all of the photos.
rooth said…
One per month sounds like a great idea to me
Hena Tayeb said…
that barnes and noble sounds dreamy!
glad you had such a great trip.
vacations are the best...
love that submarine collage, baltimore can be the best place when it wants to show off
Love that you got to explore a submarine!
Green Fashionista
Emily said…
Just looking through these pictures and reading this post makes me feel relaxed! Also imaging eating a delicious donut like that helps me feel relaxed too ;)