Friday, November 11, 2016

in which i do not mention either presidential candidate

Well, I think we can all agree it's been quite a week.

Politics aside, there are few things I love more than a major news event with wall to wall television coverage.  Case in point, I live for snowstorms when the local news channels have nonstop weather reports.  Needless to say, Election Day 2016 was really something I'd been looking forward to.  When I woke up on Tuesday morning, I had an email that Matt had reloaded my Dunkin' Donuts gift card with $20.00 worth of Election Day coffee.

He is the best. 
I got an iced coffee on my way home from work, and for dinner, I knew I wanted to cook something simple so as to maximize television viewing time.  I decided to use some eggplant we'd frozen from our garden this summer to make an eggplant parmesan.  I couldn't remember if it cooked at 350 degrees or 375, so I split the difference and cooked it at 363 degrees, and it was delicious.
After dinner, Matt and I watched election coverage for a few hours. At 9:00 we were waiting for the Florida and Ohio returns, and I was on the edge of my seat drinking a cup of coffee and stress-eating caramel sauce with a spoon, and Matt went up to the kitchen and came back downstairs with a perfectly reasonable bowl of oatmeal.  

That about sums us up.

Matt went to bed a little while later, but woke up again around midnight, and then we both stayed up until 3 a.m., aka 4.5 hours later then we normally stay up on school nights.  

I was feeling awake and alive on Wednesday, but Thursday was rough. I had to drive about 4 hours for a work meeting, and as I got into the car and prepared to drive home, I got an alert from Pandora radio, suggesting Bruce Hornsby radio.
And do you know what I needed at about 4:00 on Thursday afternoon?  Some Bruce Hornsby.

Today I decided to make spicy Chinese noodles for dinner.  I made this recipe few weeks ago and it was A HIT.  Since it's getting dark so early here, I lit a candle and turned on the music while I cooked, and when Matt walked in the door he was holding a bouquet of roses.
Well, life does not get much better.

We ate our delicious dinner, and I mentioned to Matt that when he had texted me earlier in the day to tell he he ordered some Christmas lights for the house, I checked out the "recently viewed" section of our Amazon account to see what lights he'd ordered.

I didn't see any Christmas lights, but do you know what I did see?

An automatic chicken cooper door opener (not happening) and lawn aerator shoe spikes.

"Oh yeah," he said, "I looked at those lawn spikes.  But, why pay money for them when I can just make them myself? All I have to do is punch nails through two pieces of wood, strap them to my shoes, and walk around the yard."

The day Matt walks around the yard with wood and nails strapped to his shoes is the day I shell out the cash to rent a proper lawn aerator,

I'd even aerate the lawn myself.

As long as I got a cup of coffee on my way home.

And I still have $18.00 left on that gift card, so I should be good to go aerate.

16 comments:

Lauren Honeycutt said...

Lol split the difference at 363! I love it!

AnneMarie said...

COFFEE!!! That sounds like a great day :) I just made some Pumpkin Spice coffee syrup yesterday, so I had my first PSL of the falltime season (I know, I'm a little late to the game haha). Eggplant parmesan sounds so tasty! I kep meaning to make it, but I haven't yet.

Michelle said...

You and Matt crack me up! This is the first election I wasn't staring at the tv, because I was so convinced I knew how it would turn out. HA.

Edye Nicole said...

Love how you set your oven temp! Totally something I would do ;)

Blessings,
Edye | Http://gracefulcoffee.com

Stacia said...

haha. Husbands and the things they'll hunt for online are wonderful and hilarious.

rooth said...

LOL - sweet husband and I love that you check the Amazon order history to see what exactly he's been up to

Rebecca Jo said...

Bruce Hornsby... is there EVER really a good time for that?
I busted out laughing at those shoes. I always say Amazon has everything. your added pics here proves it.

Emily at 'a little bit of Emily' said...

Oh my word, you never fail to make me laugh. I am with you on all day coverage. Give me a good snow storm and I am all about the news, even though it's pretty much the same thing over and over again! I love that Matt got you coffee money for the election and then came home with those roses later on. So sweet! And I am dying at his home made aretor (sp?) shoes. Hilarious!

Julie said...

Oh wow...well at least you got coffee!

henning love said...

haha i love the random things he ordered from Amazon, guys minds are so hard to comprehend sometimes until they explain it to us!

Carolann Chambers said...

You've got a sweetheart. I love that Matt reloaded your Dunkin Donuts card. I was totally stress eating and drinking wine on election night and stayed up way later than I should have. My husband has a very interesting Amazon wish list. He loves to cook and always has these crazy kitchen gadgets that I want to get him but are just so expensive. Maybe for Christmas I will splurge!

Carolann Chambers said...

You've got a sweetheart. I love that Matt reloaded your Dunkin Donuts card. I was totally stress eating and drinking wine on election night and stayed up way later than I should have. My husband has a very interesting Amazon wish list. He loves to cook and always has these crazy kitchen gadgets that I want to get him but are just so expensive. Maybe for Christmas I will splurge!

Carolann Chambers said...

You've got a sweetheart. I love that Matt reloaded your Dunkin Donuts card. I was totally stress eating and drinking wine on election night and stayed up way later than I should have. My husband has a very interesting Amazon wish list. He loves to cook and always has these crazy kitchen gadgets that I want to get him but are just so expensive. Maybe for Christmas I will splurge!

Heather @ Heathers Hurrah said...

LOL...I had no idea aerater shoes even existed. Your husband is hilarious (as is your writing).

The Blue-Eyed Blogger said...

Lol! I felt the same way about the election coverage - I was totally into all of the news surrounding it. Luckily I live on the west coast so I didn't have to stay up quite as late to see the final results! Your hubby is so sweet...seems perfectly complimentary for you and seems so thoughtful as well!

Rebekah @ Chronicles from the Peanut Gallery said...

1. Love me some iced coffee!! 2. Love the split difference idea! 3. I laughed out loud so hard about the aerator shoes my 3 year old asked if I was okay! LOL