Monday, November 28, 2016

we literally shopped till we dropped

Emily and I decided to do some shopping this Black Friday, because there's nothing like an adventure.  We decided to go later in the afternoon to hopefully miss some of the crowds, and I told her I'd be over to pick her up at 3:40.

"That's an odd time," she said.

Sometimes 3:30 feels too early and 4:00 feels too late, and Friday was one of those times.

Before we left, my mom said, "Okay girls, have fun.  And be careful, people get crazy on Black Friday.  If you see someone with road rage in the parking lot, just let them have the good spot.  It's not worth it."

"Are you worried we're going to shoot someone?" Emily asked, as if we were packing heat and some pent-up aggression on our retail quest.

"No, it's not so much the shooting I'm worried about," mom said, "It's the getting shot."

So on that happy note, we set out.  Obviously, our first stop was the motherland, Dunkin' Donuts.

From there, we hit Target, A.C. Moore, Primark, and the thrift shop.  We swung into Dollar Tree for some wrapping supplies, and as we walked in Emily broke the news to me that Dunkin' Donuts is going to start selling bottled beverages.  I got so excited that I waved my arms around wildly and accidentally pulled my hoop earring out, and then we had to look for it on the pavement in front of the Dollar Tree.

Luckily that was the most dangerous parking lot experience we had all night.

When we came out of the Dollar Tree and put the bags and wrapping paper in the trunk, we realized that the trunk was half full, but we had not yet purchased one gift.

Oops.

But what we did purchase were plenty of gifts for ourselves, including a book called "A Hell of a Place to Lose a Cow, an American Hitchhiking Odyssey."


That particular purchase was Emily's and it cost her a quarter.  I'm sure it'll be worth every penny.

All 25 of them.

The lack of gifts may have had something to do with the fact that every time I saw something I liked, I'd say to Em, "This is so cute/useful/clever/fun," and she would nod along in complete agreement and validation.  And then I'd ask, "Can you think of anyone who'd like it?"  And she would say, "Nope."

She's quite a companion.

We decided to refuel at Chick-fil-a, and then we stopped at Gander Mountain to pick up a gift for my father in law.  I texted Matt to ask what size shirt to get, and he responded with the answer and a casual request to ask if I could pick up some ammo that was on sale.  It was just like the way some people might say "oh while you're at the store, could you grab some milk?"  What ensued was me searching, quite unsuccessfully, on my own, finally asking an employee, and the employee leading me to a glass case of guns and unlocking it.

"I think he just wanted bullets," I told her.  Evidently I didn't use the correct vocabulary in my initial questioning, but once I finally got what Matt needed, I'll tell you what vocabulary I did know.

YOU OWE ME, PAL.

From there we went to Kohl's, where we basically hit the mother-lode.  They were having great sales and had great stuff, and we filled a cart to overflowing.  We were there for quite a while, and the later it got the more delirious we I got.  By our third trip through housewares, I started beeping like I was putting a tractor trailer in reverse every time I backed the cart up.

I thought it was hilarious.  I can't say the same for Emily.

Our final stop of the evening was Walmart, and by the time we got back home, our feet were tired, the trunk was full, and our wallets were empty.

But our lists were almost completely crossed off, our Christmas spirit had arrived, and I think we've started a new tradition.


16 comments:

Kristy Sayer-Jones @ Southern In Law said...

Phew! I am exhausted just reading your shopping adventures, haha!

It sounds like such a fun evening!

Rach @ This Italian Family said...

Wow! Quite a successful shopping outing even if you didn't end up finding gifts for people. Sounds like you found some awesome finds, though! :)

rooth said...

Holy hell girl, you're on the ball. I still have the majority of my shopping to get done

Brianne said...

You're hilarious. Sounds like quite the event. If it makes you feel better, I started beeping along just reading because I've been known to do the same thing...

Rebecca Jo said...

I just need to go shopping with you one day... just to hang out with you & your crazy fun thinking :)
That book :) haha!!!! We totally need a book review on that one.
Thumbs up for not getting shot on Black Friday. You never know how it can go.

Trista @ The Classy Chaos said...

I love this! Sounds like so much fun. And I could totally hear my mom saying some of those same things!

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

Hahahaha your mom sounds exactly like my mom. As I was reading that, I was totally hearing it in her voice! And yes, Kohl's!!!! They have the best deals ever and it's awesome because they let you stack coupons!

Emily SimplyARoughDraft said...

I found some amazing deals at Kohls, too! I just love that place!
I have the same type of gun-related vocabulary issues with my hubby, too. One time he was telling me an action-packed story about when he was shooting with his buddies, and he said "magazines were flying everywhere"...and I was like, "Why did you have magazines with you?" thinking they must have been reading during their down time. I didn't realize there was another type of magazine in the world. My bad. ;)

Simply Alexandra // My Favorite Things said...

This sounds like a successful outing to me! Glad that was the most dangerous parking lot situation you got into. At least it wasn't a stud earring! :) LOL on the beep beep beep while backing up. :) hehehe The ammo thing is getting me too! LOL XO - Alexandra

Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

jessica // creative index said...

WOW you guys were busy! lol I used to love going out but just can't handle it anymore! Can't deal with the madness! lol

Anonymous said...

**YAWN**

Kayla MKOY said...

Your moms comment! LOL! She's hilarious. I'm glad to hear you guys stayed safe! Also, Caleb and I stopped by the Dollar Store last week and spent like $20+ on wrapping stuff and we're totally stocked for the season. We easily saved like $100 compared to if we went to Target to stock up! I'm glad you guys had a fun day of shopping together!

JKemper said...

LOL This is great!! I don't think I would have this kind of stamina. I'm not normally a shopper but this trip sounds like you both had a blast :)

Michelle said...

That sounds exhausting but so fun at the same time! I'm coming with you guys next year.

Ashley @ The Wandering Weekenders said...

That seriously sounds like the best Black Friday shopping experience ever, and the fact that you got a lot of stuff for you is pretty awesome in my experience! I love that your husband asked you to pick up ammo while you were out! I'm pretty sure that mine would do the exact same thing!

Ashley R said...

Wow! You killed it! Good job. :)

<3 Have Ashley, Will Travel