Sunday, December 19, 2010

oh how the mighty have fallen

 
We got our Christmas tree!  Phil strung the lights after church today, and then we put up a whoppping three ornaments, because it's all about pacing yourself.  And this time of year, I'm always saying...three ornaments a day keeps the tree decorating stress away. 

Oh, I kid.  I don't really say that.  And truth be told, there was a lot of sneezing and coughing and cleaning and last minute shopping going on around here today, so Tuesday night will be Christmas Tree Decorating Night 2010.

Location? The family room. 

When I was seven years old, we moved into the house we live in now.  It was an upgrade from a tiny house with just a family room, to a bigger one with a family room and a living room.  And, so began the "where shall we put the Christmas tree?" discussion.  My dad's vote was for the family room.  The fireplace is in the family room, so Santa could just slide down the chimney and conveniently emerge right in front of the tree, ready to distribute mountains of gifts to the best behaved children in all the land.  Plus, that's where we spent most of our time.  Unfortunately, my mom's vote was for the living room.  It's in the front of the house, and while we hardly ever spent time in the living room, my mom thought the tree would look so pretty in the big front windows.  Whenever we vote for things around here, my mom always says her vote counts twice.  And so, the tree went in the living room. 

The first year it was in the living room, my brother and I were so worried that when Santa slid down the chimney, he wouldn't be able to find the tree, and then where oh where would he deposit that mountain of gifts for the best children in all the land?!  Because of our great concern, we left Santa a little note explaining the location change.  And, if I remember correctly, Phil even drew a map for the jolly old man.  And would you believe that Santa found that tree?  It was a Christmas miracle.

We displayed the tree in the living room for a long time, but two or three years ago, my dad put his yuletide foot down, and since then, we have been putting the tree in the family room.   Still, my mom just wasn't okay with the idea of not having any sort of Christmasy foliage in the living room, so a few years ago she went out and bought this little guy.
The first time my dad saw it, he laughed and laughed and exclaimed, "Looks like Christmas in Las Vegas!"  So now we refer to it at the Last Vegas tree.  And it fits.

It is very green.   
 But this little tree and all its glitter and green had a very prominent place on the sewing table in the fancy living room for that entire Christmas season. 

Last year, the Las Vegas tree was booted from it's premium real estate in the living room.  If I remember correctly, it sat on a corner table in the dining room. 

And this year?  Oh how far it has fallen.  This year, the Las Vegas tree is sitting festively atop the...


....


.....


......


.....

....


dryer.

If the Las Vegas tree makes the cut for next Christmas, I'm confident it will be placed in a better location.  Because let's face it, there's really nowhere to go but up.

9 comments:

Things to Do said...

So many things about this I love:

1) Leaving a map and instructions to Santa
2) I agree that the Las Vegas tree looks like Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree rolled around in some awesome glitter. I kind of feel like I must have one!

Perfect Peace said...

I love your little Las Vegas tree :) I have a bright pink one just like it! I hope Santa finds your tree okay ;)

Baby Sister said...

Hahahaha. That's hilarious that it's on the dryer!! I hope it has better luck next year!!

Julianna said...

SO excited about you trying out that mascara! Let me know how you like it because I LOVE it! Ya'lls tree is so gorgeous. I love tall, plump trees with colored lights. I also love the lime green one! It adds a nice glow to the top of the dryer, for sure! ;)

ae said...

I love the Vegas Christmas tree. Hopefully it gets better billing next year!

jenna ♥ a little blue said...

awe hahaha this post made me laugh out loud. :)

love that your mom vote counts twice... i want it to be that way when i'm a mama too.

Jessica said...

Aw, poor little Vegas tree! He needs to be front and center. ;)

Lyla said...

loved ur style..it really made me smile..keep it up. :)

myuncensoredlife said...

I love your Vegas tree :-) Very cute!