i bet glowsticks would really liven up the party

When I logged onto facebook the other night, a red box popped up informing me that I had a notification.  It turned out to be of the event invitation variety (hands down the best kind of facebook notification), and it was for a frat party at Penn State tonight. 

In a sad twist, I was reading the notification with not one but TWO heating pads on my sore neck and back because apparently after you graduate from college, things start to decline at a frighteningly rapid pace.  I don’t even want to KNOW what age 23 will bring.

While I appreciated the invitation, it served as a harsh reminder that I graduated from Penn State in May and don’t live in State College anymore, THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH FOR THE REALITY CHECK, Mr. Social Chair of Sigma Tau Something.  Since I didn't really go to frat parties in college, had never even heard of this particular one, and didn't recognize any names, I can only assume that I got onto that highly exclusive 871 person guest list not because anyone in the frat knows me, but by a stroke of complete and total good luck.

Anyway, this wasn’t just going to be your average frat party.  Oh no.  This was highlighter party.  In other words, a chance to don a cheap white t-shirt, go to a house with only black lights, and proceed to spend the night being written on with neon stationary supplies.
In fact, the description on the event’s facebook page reads, and I quote,

"turn off the lights, turn on the glow. wear white t-shirts, bring highlighters, and WRITE ALL OVER PEOPLE."

I know what you’re thinking.  Sign. Me. Up. 

And also perhaps "why do Penn Staters have such strange capitalization tendencies?"  And to that I say, I don't KNOW, doesn't everyone CAPITALIZE some words and not OTHERS?

I will admit, there was a time when I greatly enjoyed the occasional highlighter party.  Hello, sophomore year.  I even had a designated “highlighter party tshirt," and if that doesn't scream cool but still somewhat nerdy, I don't know what does.
Anyway, I think my most memorable highlighter party was one I went to sophomore year.  A friend of a friend had asked me to go to a formal dinner dance with him late in the spring semester, and I agreed.  He thought we should hang out beforehand a few times so that when it came time for the formal we would have more to say than “wow, isn’t this formal?”  One weekend he invited me to a party, and since we didn’t know each other too well, and also because he was sort of an awkward kind of guy, I brought my roommate along to the party.  Turns out it was a highlighter party.  And the boy knew.  And just didn't tell us because "he didn't think it would matter."  Well, let's just say that to my roommate and I, and our yellow and fushcia shirts, IT MATTERED.  Oh, the horror.  Please take a few moments to picture that drama that ensued. 

Actually, you don't even have to picture it.  Because here I am, devastated, and sporting a yellow shirt in a black lit sea of white.
And then, that boy had the nerve to give me bunny ears while we were taking this dramatic picture.  Needless to say, we did not go out again after the formal.

And yes, that Juicy Juice was DELICIOUS!

Come to think of it, I don't really have any plans for tonight.  Maybe I'll pack up the car and head up to Happy Valley.  I'll just have to remember to stop at home for my highlighter party shirt first.  And some Juicy Juice. 

And a heating pad, just in case. 

Comments

AubreyMo said…
First. Why are we not Facebook friends? (I'm Aubrey Phelps on there).

Second. I'm slightly jealous that you have pictures of you from high school you looked gorgeous - I don't think I have any of me (and now that I think about it, that's not a bad thing).

I hope your neck gets feeling better!
Perfect Peace said…
hahaha this is hilarious. Oh stories of college life :) Feel better! Keep those heating pads on :)
Teenage Bride said…
hahaha my sister loves thes parties... can't say t hat I have ever been to one lol
ae said…
I have never been to a highlighter party but this one looks to good to pass up;) Hope you feel better soon!
mskanorado said…
Can't say I have ever been to a highlighter party, or heard of them until this point! I can imagine why you weren't too thrilled wearing yellow at a white shirt, highlighter party! haha!

have a great weekend!
Jessica said…
I suspect that's not really juicy juice in your hand. ;)

Never been to a highlighter party! LOVE the idea though.
Things to Do said…
I see you like the Grape Juicy Juice. I always stuck to Cherry at parties I went too. :)
Alisha said…
Oh you are darling!! Never heard of highlighter parties though :/ but we did have lots of Juicy Juice parties in college! ;)
Baby Sister said…
Heating pads have become my friends. I think a highlighted party sounds like fun!! Thanks for the idea. :)
Megan said…
Haha, this is too funny! I have never heard of a highlighter party! Interesting!
Sarah said…
You, my dear almost-sort-of-if-we-lived-near-by friend, are destined for blog greatness. When you appear on Oprah a few years down the road, I will just be so proud of you and will say(as I push my spectacles back up my nose),"I knew her when she started out as Laura Darling!'.

Apparently I am NOT lacking in the over-dramatic area. ;)
stephanieamber said…
oh my gosh. i want to be your best friend forever.
Julianna said…
I am also wondering why we aren't Facebook friends?! (Julianna Persons)
I have been meaning to comment on almost all of your posts lately. I seriously get on blogger HOPING (oops..capitalization..) that you've posted because you always crack me up!
Hope you feel better soon!!
Haha! This is why I think everyone should experience college!
Leah said…
I have always wanted to go to a highlighter party, but have never been! And the high school story was very funny! I would have been mad at the boy :)
Tay Talk said…
That's hilarious. I mean, not so much in the moment, but to look back on. FUNNY.

And hey, at least the juice box was good :)
Rebecca said…
Okay, can I just say I sat and read this with an icepack on my back? (btw...by about the age 26 you will learn that icepacks may not feel as good in the moment, but in the long run cut down on the inflamation and pain. Advice from an ancient-28yearold-lady.)

Anyways, I knew I must've missed out on something really exciting going to a Christian college. Now I'm not sure I had the real college experience at all having never even heard of a highlighter party. :( Although it reminds me a bit of the last day of summer camp when everyone would sign eachother's shirts. Those were good times.