Saturday, January 8, 2011

if only rent was six dollars in real life

Last night we were watching the evening news.  As the camera zoomed in on the anchor (a very serious man in his mid-sixties) and his black and white striped suit, my dad said, "Oh look, Jim wore his gangsta suit tonight."

Friday evening was off to a fantastic start.

After we ate dinner, my dad announced that he thought it was the perfect night for a game of Monopoly.  Matt even came over to join in on the board game night o' fun.
 Phil started out confident and strong, and talked a big game.
But, thanks to some poor investments and not one soul landing on Baltic or Mediterranean, things took a serious nosedive to the south.  Phil was the first one out of the game.  After a little while Emily decided that making vanilla pudding would be far more entertaining than figuring out a way to mortgage her properties and save her last few dollars, so Phil played in her place.  All he had to work with was a handful of mortgages and eleven bucks, so it would have taken a monopoly miracle for him to come back from that kind of financial ruin.  After a few rounds, he went out for the second time.  

Then, he mourned. 
After Phil went out (again), Matt started raking in the the cash money, and I started losing it.  People were landing on my properties left and right, but a $6.00 rent will get you nowhere fast.  I'm looking at you, Oriental Avenue.
 Oh sure, my parents may be laughing in this picture, but make no mistake.  This was one cuthroat game.  There was no mercy.  My mom had to keep saying "It's just a BOARD GAME!"
 
I'm sad to report that if you spend eighty percent of your time in jail, only pass go twice, and collect a mere fifty dollars total in rent, there is no way you can win Monopoly. 

Ask me how I know.

I have a little bone to pick with the Parker Brothers and the exorbitant amount of go to jail cards included in this game.

About two and a half hours in, Matt was hanging by a very thin, financially insecure thread, my dad was holding steady, and my mom had more money than the bank.  Eventually, and I do mean eventually, my dad was victorious.  He was thrilled to claim the title of Monopoly Champion.
 He also told us that he wants to make this a weekly event, which means I have exactly six days to learn how to become more fiscally savvy in the world of board games. 

And also to locate and destroy every last "go to jail" card.

13 comments:

Things to Do said...

Thank goodness Monopoly isn't like life. Cause I still plan on winning in life while doing 80% time in jail. :)

andrea said...

I HATE Monopoly for basically all the reasons you didn't know you were listing above. And the boyfriend, Mitch? HE'S OBSESSED WITH MONOPOLY. Tries to get me to play it all the time. However, I stand strong in my hatred of all things money-related (Seriously...I'm broke in real life. I don't really need to be financially-ruined in a board game, too).

Kudos to you on giving it your best shot, and love the pictures! :)

Jessica said...

haha I haven't played Monopoly for everrr and I cant imagine playing it again for some reason! I love the pics of your game night!

Kristin said...

Sounds like fun!! I haven't played Monopoly in years!!

Megan said...

Haha, I love this post! We used to play Monopoly all the time...until one time when I just stood up and threw the board across the room. Now we don't play much. Haha.

Perfect Peace said...

My family played Monopoly this week as well! And I, too, spent most of my time in jail. Sad life, huh? :)

Baby Sister said...

Good luck with those jail cards...they are pure evil.

ae said...

I have not played Monopoly in forever. Looks like y'all had fun!

Jessica said...

Girl, I played Monopoly with my 11 year old niece and she kicked my BUTT!

Jamie Lane said...

I hate Monopoly but you actually made it sound exciting! I think there is some trick you can google that can make you a Monopoly master. I would consider searching for "Monopoly winning trick"...but don't tell anyone you heard it from me.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Haha! I love it! Monopoly and game nights can really make it fun!

Alli said...

I'm with Andrea, my guy is head-over-heels for Monopoly.... I'm not quite so impressed. I love the game Things, check it out!

Sarah said...

Monopoly is so fun! I love the picture of Matt collecting all kinds of money and you holding your head in your hands! :)