this doesn't happen to our other nativity scenes

In our kitchen, we have this cute greenhouse window above the sink.
And for the past month, this simple little flowerpot nativity scene has been displayed in the window. 
It's one of my favorite Christmas decorations.  Jesus is sleeping peacefully in his flowerpot manger. Mary looks so happy and content.  And Joseph isn't letting the fact that he seems to have lost his left pom-pom arm stop him from singing.  When I think about how the Holy Family must have feeling during the emotional days that followed Jesus' birth, this is exactly what I picture.  Except, I always picture Joseph with both arms.

However, for a few weeks, something suspicious was happening with this nativity scene.  This is what it would look like when my mom came down each morning...
It seemed that every night, after my family went to sleep, Mary turned away from her husband and son! 

Now, the other members of my family have a history of rearranging the decorations in the greenhouse window and then waiting to see how long it takes someone else to notice.  It's like a game around here.  I know what you're thinking.  The OhLauraDarling family is a wild bunch.  Yes, yes we are.  The difference is, the decoration rearranger always owns up to it so they can take the credit!  But this time, no one admitted to turning Mary around!

The Christmas decorations are being packed away now, and we will probably never know who turned Mary around each night, or why.

In Church today, our priest told us how Jesus had human emotions, just like we do.  He got mad and scared and sad.  So I'm thinking that maybe Jesus was cranky at night for those first few weeks, and poor Mary just needed a little break. 

Of course, she also could have been looking for Joseph's left arm.

Comments

Things to Do said…
Haha a true holiday who-done-it. Currently in our complex we have a nativity scene that is surrounded by penguin decorations singing christmas carols and reindeer. Every time I drive by, I'm like I don't remember my nativity scene like this.
Jamie Lane said…
The last line killed me! Oh wow, I can't stop laughing.
lol In college my guy friends had the same sense of humor. I would walk in my room to my teddy bears in different spots then I left them for sure! lol
Perfect Peace said…
This is adorable! First of all, I LOVE your flowerpot family. Second of all, whoever was doing that is hilarious. We have all kinds of traditions with our Manger Scene too- it's probably my favorite part of Christmas :)
Haha, this is too cute! Maybe one day the mystery will be solved.
Jessica said…
aww the flowerpot family is so cute...and that's hilarious! wonder when someone will fess up!
Erin said…
Haha, we have the same little nativity family at my house! But our Joseph has both of his arms.... :)
Teenage Bride said…
oh my .... that is too funny.

What a cute nativity scene though! it is just darling
Baby Sister said…
That's hilarious. I would have found a hiding spot and waited around to see who was doing it...but that's cause I'm weird like that.
Jas said…
This was too cute. I admit to being the prankster that rearranged the nativity scene in our house. I used to take the figures and create elaborate scenes with them. Ever seen the baby Jesus fly?

Because in my 7 year old mind, he totally did.

Happy Holidays!
Marian said…
I not only love the little nativity scene...I'm quite jealous of the greenhouse window. Its perfection!
ae said…
Love it! A modern day Sherlock Holmes mystery!
Nicole said…
I love this post! You have the cutest writing style!
Ashley said…
That is hilarious. I wonder if the jokester will ever reveal themself?!?
Megan said…
Oh my gosh...a real live mystery!! That would drive me crazy not knowing who it was!
Petchie said…
What a funny story! Can't believe the joker didn't come forward!

xoxo
Petchie
Michaela said…
Okay this is so funny! Thanks for making me smile! (:
In my family, someone always takes baby Jesus from the nativity scene.

I just realized I won your giveaway! I hadn't followed you yet (don't worry, I am now!). I am SOOOO excited! I already emailed my hubby so he could start browsing. We will definitely be getting something for our new house! (-:

~Kathryn
[anna] said…
How adorable! Things have a way of misplacing themselves around here too.
Like the time I found my mp3 player in a cooking pot...
Ana* said…
Haha I love the window and the mystery behind the story.

Ps: I have given you the stylish blog award. stop by my blog for more details.
mskanorado said…
Thanks for recently stopping by my blog! Your blog is absolutely darling! This post is so funny - LOVE IT!
andrea said…
Maybe his arm was lost thanks to one of the ill-behaved animals in the stable. I bet that inn-keeper is sorry now - Joseph could TOTALLY sue his pants off.

PS: I gave you a silly little blog award over at my blog, so check it out if you'd like! :)