there's nothing like coming home after a long day and pulling your bed out of the wall

My post about highlighter parties the other day really had me thinking about college, so today I decided to write a post about my favorite bed in college.  I’ll give you a moment to slide on back in your chair because I’m sure you’re on the edge of your seat with all the anticipation!  And excitement!  Stay tuned because next week I’ll write about couches!

I was part of the largest freshman class ever at Penn State.  There were over 10,000 of us, which meant that you were only guaranteed on-campus housing for your freshman year, and after that you had to enter a lottery for a dorm room.  AKA the lottery that my roommate and I lost in the spring of freshman year.  Since we didn’t want to spend sophomore year homeless on the mean streets of Happy Valley, the two of us signed a lease for an itsy bitsy 340 square foot studio apartment. 

It's safe to say that the most unique feature of our tiny little studio was the beds. 

Of course, the FLOOR TO CEILING (and we had ten. foot. ceilings.), WALL TO WALL MIRROR that covered our largest wall is some stiff competition.  I'm pretty sure the realtor installed it in an effort to make the room seem bigger, but all it really did was drive you to the very edge of sanity and sometimes over a teeny tiny bit, because EVERY SINGLE TIME you turned around, you were staring at yourself.  I am a lover of all things reflective, and that mirror was even too much for me. 

Another lovely feature was the fact that I could open the fridge while lying in bed.

Score.

Anyway, back to the beds.  During the day, our little (and I do mean little) beds were tucked into the wall, disguised as closets.  When it was time to go to sleep, we would simply move the coffee table up against the couch, pull the bed down down, pop out the little metal stand, and fall into a deep slumber a mere eight inches above the ground. 
 There was a "self-closing mechanism" that tended to spring into action-literally-if you curled up too close to the head of the bed.  You could say we learned that the hard way.  Other than that, we never really had a problem with our little (and I do mean little) wall beds.

Of course, if you were taller than 5'7'', you may have run into a little bit of an issue trying to find somewhere for the lower part of your body to spend the night.  And if you were Phil, well, you and your ankles would probably prefer to spend those nights on the mean streets of Happy Valley.
 We loved those beds.  When people would come to our apartment and ask where in the world we slept, we were so proud to pull those little (and I do mean little) mattresses out of the wall.  We even dressed our beds up for Christmas.  Do you know what's classier than a bed that gets folded into a wall?  A bed that gets folded into the wall, and is festively wrapped like a gigantic holiday present.  That three inch wide belt I'm sporting is also very classy.  HELLO, SILVER!
And that's the story of our little (and I do mean little) wall beds. 

Now I'm going to go make sure that lovely belt is where it belongs. 

Which would be in the garage. 

With the bike reflectors.

And my highlighter party t-shirts.

Comments

Baby Sister said…
Hahaha. That is awesome. I've always thought wall beds would be a crazy kind of cool.
Things to Do said…
Haha! I think this is the definition of making lemonade with lemons!
Kaleena J. said…
This is weird... but when I was a little girl... i ALWWAYS wanted a bed that folded up in the wall!!

have a great week!
Perfect Peace said…
haha those beds are so cool! I'm sure they got old fast, but fun in the beginning, right? Anyway, did you get a new design? It's very pretty!
omg! I can't even imagine! lol
AubreyMo said…
Those beds are RAD! I want one!
Teenage Bride said…
hahahaha this reminds of that movie uptown girls which is the only other time I have seen this kind of sleeping arrangement.
Courtney said…
Haha! I love reading your posts.. you could put a smile on anyone's face :)
Jessica said…
Oh no! You got closed in the bed?! Haha
Jen said…
Hey, a bed is a bed, right?? ;-)

Happy Tuesday Darling! xo

Oh, and be sure to stop by my blog for my swimsuit GIVEAWAY!!
Alex said…
haha how funny!! I have never seen a dorm like that before!
mskanorado said…
We had one of those beds on our honeymoon, they upgraded us to this fancy room with a king size day bed, because the king size regular beds were already reserved. Sounds nice, right? Well the sound and idea were nice but comfortable it was not! Luckily a room with a normal bed freed up in a couple days. Thank goodness! How was yours? Comfortable?
andrea said…
Oh, Laura, you crack me up. I have the best mental image of the bed closing up on someone while fast asleep! How awful. And hilarious.

PS: I'm diggin' the new blog design. How did you do it??
ae said…
Love your new layout!
REBrown said…
I always thought it would be so neat to have one of those beds.....maybe for like a day, I'm not sure I could've handled it all year!
Julianna said…
Love your new layout!!
Tay Talk said…
I laughed the whole entire post.

1. WALL TO WALL MIRROR...yeah, a little much.
2. The fact you could open the fridge while in bed was pretty sweet.
3. That bed would have been to small for me. But I would have loved it all the same.

OH college! GOTTA LOVE IT! Stories to last a lifetime!
{av} said…
HILARIOUS! I wish I had fold-up beds in college so I could begin to actually walk in our dorm rooms ;) loved this post! xoxo {av}
Megan said…
Oh my gosh! How funny! I seriously didn't even know that wall beds still existed!
Oh wow! I can't imagine sleeping on one of those for a year! I had to sleep on a wall bed once while on vacation because the house we rented out had one.
Holli said…
LOL, I love it... A Murphy Bed. I didn't know those were still around... they were super big in the 20's and 30's....
Diana Mieczan said…
That is one cool bed:) I totally love it
Hugs and kisses, my dear

Ps: I am hosting a natural cosmetics GIVEAWAY today! Hope you’ll join in :)
Kristin said…
Haha that is crazy!! Love that you decorated them!!