you know what they say...hindsight is 20/20

I got new glasses last night.
I love them.  They're called "Book Smart," so obviously, they were named for me.

It's a good thing they're not called "Humble."

I have been bespectacled (just making words up as I go here) since I was eight years old, and this is my seventh pair of glasses.  There was that blue squarish pair in fifth grade, and some maroon wire ones with snazzy cutting edge magnetic sunglasses technology in eighth.  There was the pair before this that I absolutely loved, and there was that cute plastic pair that mysteriously snapped right in half during college.  

I can remember which glasses I wore to my Confirmation, which ones I wore when I got my hair cut in layers for the first time.  I know which pair I cast aside when I got my first order of contacts, and  I know which pair I returned to two years ago when I found out I could no longer wear contacts.  If you name a period in my life, I can tell you which glasses I wore through it.  And it's safe to say that I’ve some a long, long way since that very first pair.
 A loooooong way.
Apparently, back in 1996, the name of the glasses game was the bigger the frames, the better.  You weren’t cool unless your frames touched your cheeks when you smiled. 
I must have been the coolest kid in third grade.
And if the gigantic glasses didn't edge me right on into the cool kid category, I'm sure my teal "Love Bug" t-shirt and floral high waisted shorts, matching sleeveless golf shirt TUCKED IN, please, sure did.

I wish I could use the excuse "I had poor eyesight, and knew not what I was wearing."  But obviously, that's a lie, because there's no way I missed a thing with those gigantic two inch lenses.

I hope that since it was 1998, everyone dressed like this.  Or, maybe I just didn't have the greatest fashion sense.

But hey, at least I'm book smart.

Comments

ae said…
Love the new glasses!!
Megan said…
Hahaha...those pictures are too funny!!
Perfect Peace said…
haha I love this story. Isn't it funny how we become so attached to our glasses? I love your new pair!
Alexis Kaye said…
you are so cute! love your personality! and the glasses are da bomb!
Mimi said…
Aw, you were a cute kid. The book smart glasses are awesome. I used to have the ugliest plastic thick red rimmed glasses. I've picked up the pace a bit, but only wear my glasses at home...

Aesthetic Lounge
Kristin said…
I really like the new ones!!
Things to Do said…
Those are super lovely! Yay for glass evolution.
REBrown said…
The new glasses are very cute!

I think everyone looks back on their pictures from elementary school and feels some shock and horror.
andrea said…
Oh, Laura, so awesome. Glasses are cool and sometimes I get jealous I don't have them. For instance, in the fourth grade I made my mom take me to the eye doctor and I faked the exam, picking all the blurry pictures as "clear" and, whaddayaknow, I still didn't need glasses.

Or maybe I do and I screwed myself over back in 1996...
Jessica said…
Okay, I love you but I can't help but giggle. :)
The new glasses are an improvement, but your cute either way!!
Jenn W said…
i SWEAR to you that we had identical big glasses...shape and all, expect mine were blue floral. yikes!!
Kaleena J. said…
this is weird... but i've always been jealous of people who need glasses! i'm jealous of you! these are way cute.
Ashley said…
Love your "book smart" glasses! So cute. I remember those big, ugly frames....let's hope they don't come back in style, right? ;)
MyDearJenn said…
I love the look of your big glasses! Now they would totally be considered trendy and I really think you could pull them off!
Thisisme. said…
Yes, those new glasses are really cool! I have also worn glasses since I was 9 years old, and used to wear absolutely HUGE ones. They were the fashion back then. Thank you for visiting my blog.
Eva Marie said…
Those new glasses are perfect! You totally need to post a pic of you in them
Teenage Bride said…
hahahahaha fabulous post. There is this photo of me and seriously I look like Miss Muffett..... soooo not sure what I was thinking.
Holli said…
I've been wearing glasses since I was 8 too so I can certainly empathize with you in this post. Cute pics! Love your new frames....
Baby Sister said…
I remember when I had big-rimmed glasses. I look back on those pictures and think "eww, gross". There are some days I miss wearing glasses still...
amylou said…
Those glasses are so cute! Anything pink is cute!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Love the photos! Thank you for sharing. Your new glasses are great! I enjoyed my visit to your lovely blog. Hugs, Katherine
Kimbirdy said…
oh i need new glasses. i've been wearing contacts for so long now that my only pair of glasses are old wire rims, and NOT the cool kind. :)
I love your new glasses!!!!
Erin said…
Oh man, I think we've lived the same "bespectacled" life! Don't worry, everyone had ridiculous glasses (and clothes) in the 90s.
Sarah said…
I've never had glasses, but just this evening while sitting in class, I realized I was squinting to unblur the words on the PP slides (which were not small)... A trip the the eye doctor is a must in the near future. I sure hope I can rock a pair of specs like you do! I love your new ones!
joyce said…
I love your new glasses! It's really pretty. I cringed whenever I think about my glasses days. Like you, I started early (9 yo) but was never comfortable in them. I love my contacts now and don't think I can ever go back to glasses. :)
Morgan said…
I've been so horrible at keeping up with blogs. It's been forever since I last visited. I'm really happy to see that you're doing well.

You are hilarious. I'm sitting here in the library at school and I'm seriously having to hold the laughter in an effort to avoid looking like a complete lunatic.

Have no shame in the floral shorts. I'm oretty sure that you and I (and probably every other child of the nineties) owned the exact same pair. And to think, I used to think that the worst clothes came out the eighties. Oh my goodness, the nineties were AWFUL. And of course you never realize just how bad it was until a decade later.
Marie said…
Cute glasses! We could have been twins when we were little - same glasses and everything. Don't worry, everyone in the '90s wore the same style clothes. Look at some of the crazy outfits that celebrities wore!