Thursday, November 18, 2010

starburst

This past week someone has been bringing leftover Halloween candy into the office kitchen.  So, in other words, I’m in heaven.  There happens to be an abundance of little Starburst packages with two original fruit chews inside, and I made it my one woman mission to see just how many packs I had to eat before I got to the jackpot duo of one red Starburst and one pink one.  Turns out that it took a lot more than I thought it would, which explains why I was only able to eat half a sandwich at lunchtime on Tuesday.  I’ll be honest though, when I still hadn’t unwrapped a red and pink combo by Tuesday afternoon, I started to think Mars was running some sort of crazy fruit chew conspiracy.

Wednesday dawned with the promise of finding the elusive twosome (say that five times fast) though, and I shared my mission with my brother.  Not one to shy away from any food related challenge-he announced he was totally up for a race to find the prized pair.  We took the same number of Starburst packs, and decided to see who would get a pink/red combo first.  A while later he came up to my desk, and sure enough he was holding a package with a red Starburst and a pink one.  “It took me a while to get to this one though,” he admitted.  “I think this was the second or third pack.”  Obviously he had taken his time, eating one Starburst at a time and savoring each color (even yellow and orange, which are basically dead to me because I am not a fan of a citrus flavored chewy treat) equally. 

Well.  I wasn’t about to tell him that I was so enthusiastic in my quest that I inhaled all of my candy in five minutes flat and had already been finished for a good long time.  I would hate to ruin that dainty, ladylike reputation I have going on in the food department.  And so, after two days of searching and all that speedy eating, I never got a package with the two best colors.  There were plenty more in the kitchen this morning, but honestly I think I would get very sick and possibly even die if I eat one more Starburst. 

But all was not lost, because I remembered a text I got from my friend during the very last week of college that just made me laugh and laugh.  The six words “the very last week of college” are key in this situation because they are code for “we were down to the very last of our food.”

Me: I'm trying to eat the food I have in my apartment and not buy more, so today I had leftover spaghetti for lunch and tuna fish for dinner. Not stellar, but definitely not bad.
M: well my meals today were...
M: breakfast= starburst
M: lunch= starburst
M: dinner= more starburst + corn

Fruits and vegetables.  Nothing wrong with that.

6 comments:

stephanieamber said...

HAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHA this might be the funniest thing i have ever read in my entire week.

Jenn W said...

hahah love it!! but my perfect pack would be red and orange..i love the orange ones !!
now i want a starburst. and we have none. one bad thing about living in a place with no trick-or-treaters--no leftover candy to eat. hmph

Jamie Lane said...

This made my teeth hurt.

Also, it made me laugh. :)

philmin9 said...

What can I say? I'm just luckier than you Laura.

Jenn W said...

also... check my post today.. it'll make you very very happy :)

sassyshoediary said...

I rarely see a pink and red combo either! I hate those double yellows! I found that the tropical flavors are all good so I try to eat those!